by Kazbarr
Explorer

unlocking iPhone 5

I recently went online into my account to unlock my iPhone 5 device — I have been a customer with EE for the last 6+ years but recently moved abroad. After typing in my IMEI number, I received the message:

"This device can't be unlocked.

We're unable to unlock a device with this type of account"

Why is this happening? How can I unlock my device, and why should EE hold my phone hostage after years of being a loyal customer?

Any solutions are gratefully received.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: unlocking iPhone 5

Then you should have been able to unlock it using the Unlocking your device form and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. Were you using that form when you got the msgs in your OP?

In answer to your Qs:

1. It's not 2nd-hand when you just got EE to move it from contract to PAYG. When you were filling in the form did you tell it that the phone was Pay Monthly or PAYG?
  2. No, you don't need a working SIM.
  3. Try calling the Freephone no. in my sig over Skype.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where did you get this device? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different. Is it on contract or PAYG? How old is it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Kazbarr
Explorer

Thanks for getting in touch! I bought it direct with EE through a Sim+p[hone deal 3+ years ago. There are a few potential issues that may be causing problems:

1) I called up EE to cancel my plan, they should have migrated me onto a pay as you go plan, keeping the same number (I wanted a UK number for extended return trips). I should have had it unlocked before doing so. Could I now be viewed as a "second hand buyer", thereby incurring the £8.99 charge? They should be able to see my number, name and EE association.

2) Do I need to keep the sim active in order to unlock it the phone? I haven't used the EE sim for a month, and have topped up today. Perhaps I need to send a text?

3) I am currently abroad so cannot call 150, and the 'foreign' freephone helpline doesn't seem to work (I get the message "calls from this number are barred").

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Then you should have been able to unlock it using the Unlocking your device form and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. Were you using that form when you got the msgs in your OP?

In answer to your Qs:

1. It's not 2nd-hand when you just got EE to move it from contract to PAYG. When you were filling in the form did you tell it that the phone was Pay Monthly or PAYG?
  2. No, you don't need a working SIM.
  3. Try calling the Freephone no. in my sig over Skype.

by Kazbarr
Explorer

Ah I've followed the link you provided, and the request has now gone through. I couldn't find that link, and the form I was getting in the MyEE login was different, so thanks! I'm still a little unclear as to whether I will be charged or not but I have sufficient credit in case. Thanks for your help 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You shouldn't be charged as your original contract was finished.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.