by CockneyBoy
Explorer

unlocking iPhone 4

Hello you lovely people,

I am living in Malta and my mum sent me her iPhone4 as she now has a new phone. She told me she restored to factory settings but when I tried to set up the phone with my Maltese SIM card, I got the message: The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."

Being the phone is now with me in Malta and I do not have my mother's SIM card, am I able to restore the phone myself? I am unable to get to settings as I am stuck on the new set up part..

I have read all information on this and need to establish if I follow the NON EE guidelines which will cost me 8.99 or if there is a way to do this myself?

Any help is appreciated 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: unlocking iPhone 4

@CockneyBoy  You have to follow the non EE customer route as this is the only way to unlock that device. 

by CockneyBoy
Explorer

@Chris B.. Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. This is what I came to the conclusion of already, but it seems that the fee of 8.99, required to unlock the phone, has to be made from a UK bank account which I do not have 😞  I am residing in Malta.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, you would have to pay for the unlocking using a UK bank card.

Your mother's EE SIM won't help you unlock it but she could unlock it herself using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by CockneyBoy
Explorer

My mother was not on Pay Monthly, she is on Pay as You Go. If she still uses EE on her new device (iPhone 5) does this not count for anything?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I assumed she had a contract upgrade. She can still use  the Unlocking your device form as the PAYG option.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for coming to community @CockneyBoy

I can see you have been given a wealth of great information from @Chris_B and @XRaySpeX

Has this helped sort things out for you?

Let me know if you need any further help.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.