by Rachel0707 Contributor
Contributor

unlocking a phone is free???

Unlocking a phone is not free out of contract as stated on the website.

What it should say is that unlocking the phone is only free before the end of your contract if you are planning on changing providers.

Even when telephoning to unlock my phone I was informed it was free yet I have been charged on my last bill.

i have tried contacting customer services without a happy resolution and I can’t send an email request because my phone number is no longer registered to EE.

Im never going to get a resolution. It’s seems like a con unless you are planning on remaining with EE.

be warned there is nothing you can do about it.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: unlocking a phone is free???

Hello @Rachel0707 what you have been advised is incorrect.

As the pay monthly device unlock page states:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-your-device/How-to-unlock-your-EE-pay-monthly-phone-or-devic...

If you are still within your EE contract you will be charged £8.99 to unlock your device. If you request the unlock after your minimum contracted term has ended then the unlock is free.

It makes no difference whether you requested the unlock while still on EE or after moving to o2 - only when your contract ends.

19 REPLIES 19
Contributor

Re: How to unlock your EE pay monthly phone or device

unlocking is free if your contract is complete???

what you actual mean is that it is free if the contract is complete but you are still remaining with EE.

Contributor

Re: How to unlock your EE pay monthly phone or device

unlocking is free if your contract for the device is complete???

what you actual mean is that it is free if the contract is complete but you are still remaining with EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. Unlocking your EE contract device is free when you have passed your contract term even if you have changed provider.
  2. Unlocking your EE PAYG device is free at any time.
  3. Unlocking your EE contract device costs £8.99 while you are within your contract term. However you can't unlock it while it is less than 6 months old.
  4. Unlocking any 2nd-hand EE device costs £8.99.

What makes you say it is not free once you have seen out your contract term?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Because I have just been charged £8.99 on my final bill.

Ive rung customer services and they told me I should have unlocked the phone before upgrading and changing provider. 

I cant message EE now on any of the ‘contact us’form because it doesn’t recognise my mobile number as EE because it’s now 02.

Even when I rang EE to unlock the phone after upgrading to a new one they told me it was free.

Customer services are adamant it is chargeable and told me basically they wouldn’t do anything.

Its not even about the extra 8.99 now I feel like they can take what they want and there’s nothing I can do about it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, how is it that you both upgraded & changed provider?

Perhaps O2 used your PAC slightly before the end of your contract term. That would terminate your contract early.

Call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) . That doesn't require an EE mobile no.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

I received emails towards to end of my contract to upgrade. I upgraded and changed my provider. It was just before the end of my contract term. 

ive called the customer services and they advised I should have unlocked the phone before changing to 02.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hello @Rachel0707 what you have been advised is incorrect.

As the pay monthly device unlock page states:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-your-device/How-to-unlock-your-EE-pay-monthly-phone-or-devic...

If you are still within your EE contract you will be charged £8.99 to unlock your device. If you request the unlock after your minimum contracted term has ended then the unlock is free.

It makes no difference whether you requested the unlock while still on EE or after moving to o2 - only when your contract ends.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Rachel0707,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you were incorrectly charged for unlocking your phone.

You should only have been charged if you were still within your contract term.

Please get in touch with customer services so we can check your contract dates and arrange a refund if necessary.

Thanks

James

Contributor

Aarrggghh - this is so frustrating now they won’t access my account until I give them the last 4 digits of my bank account. They have told me to go to an EE shop.

I have the phone number in question, my EE account number and a bill number and they won’t do a thing.

i have never experienced such a unhelpful mobile company in all the years of having a mobile phone.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rachel0707  EE customer services have asked you a specific question and they need that answering.  Its not a case of you tell them what you want to say.     

Can I  ask did you complete the minimum term of the contract ?   Or have you changed networks when you got to your upgrade period?  

If you changed network because you git to your upgrade period then you will be charged to get the device unlocked as you haven’t completed your minimum term with EE and you requested the device to be unlocked.  

You can not upgrade and change network providers as a upgrade is only with the network that is offering the upgrade.  

From reading what you’ve put you haven’t completed the minimum term and you requested the device to be unlocked before the minimum term and so you get charged to have the device unlocked.      

But a quick question where did you get this device from ? 

Contributor

I have now visited a store myself and these are my conclusions:

1. Don’t waste any time on the call centres - majority are little help and in fact provided me with completely incorrect information. Go straight to a store and they are able to provide accurate details without having to provide any personal information.

2. 8.99 in contract or free out of contract - means although you have paid a final bill for any outstanding payments and your number is no longer recognised by EE and you have started a new contract with a new provider, they still class you as being in contract with them, if, for example you took out a 24 month contract and you are only up to 21 months of that term.

3. iPhones sold directly by EE will be unlocked automatically once it reaches 18 months - this actually means you have to purchase the handset from an EE outlet (not for example Carphone Warehouse) although you pay EE directly and your contract is with EE.

Getting information on billing and contract details should not be this difficult.

Possibly the most difficult customer service I have experienced in a very long time.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Of course you were still within your contract term when you moved to another provider at 21 months of a 24 months contract & therefore liable to pay the £8.99 unlocking fee.

I dunno why you keep saying you upgraded. You never did. You moved to another provider during your upgrade period with EE & therefore before your contract term was up.

The crux of this matter is that you have mixed up your upgrade date with your contract term. As your upgrade date is before your contract term, by moving to another provider between these dates leaves you liable to paying the £8.99 unlocking fee.

EE has charged you correctly & in line with all their published policies.

Contributor

Thanks for just repeating what I said!!!

So moving to another provider during my upgrade period isn’t upgrading in your view?? No need to respond I have found my answers and updated accordingly.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it isn't! It's moving to another provider.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rachel0707  A upgrade can only be with the sane network provider as they are offering you the upgrade. Changing networks is not a upgrade but a change of networks and that is not a upgrade. 

And if you got your device from the carphone warehouse you will be charged to have it unlocked as EE will only unlock devices that they give you for free once you get to minimum contract term.  

EE only unlock for free devices that they supply.    A device from the carphone warehouse is a device from the carphone warehouse and not EE so you get charged to have it unlocked.    

by

Hi @Rachel0707

I'm happy to see that our retail store team were able to help you.

I'm sorry to read that you are not happy with ow your query was handled with our customer service team.

If you would like to open a complaint regarding this, you can find information on how to do so on our ways to complain help and support page.

Thank you.

Chris

by richytay Investigator
Investigator

EE only unlock for free devices that they supply.

Is that true. Even if they are out of contract. Mine runs out of contract next month but I got it from mobiles.co.uk. Am I gonna have to pay the £8.99 anyway?

Rich

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@richytay: Yes, it will cost you £8.99 to unlock your phone. EE charge that for devices not bought directly from EE or 2nd hand devices even if bought originally from EE.

by

Hi @richytay,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

If you purchased your phone via a third party, it may not be locked to EE.

Have you tried another SIM card in it?

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.