by stellag
Visitor

unlock phone that does not have a phone number

I have a new payg sim card which I have inserted into a phone which was previously used by my husband on his monthly contract with EE, but has not been used for some time, as he had an upgrade phone, so he has passed it on to me.  I am trying to unlock the phone so I can use it with the new payg sim, but you need to put in the phone's telephone number - this effectively does not exist as my husband retained the same number he has always had and is using this for his new phone.  I also want to keep my existing phone number.  The only reason I want to change my phone is that it does not keep the charge for very long and it is rather dated.  I had to purchase the new payg sim as the newer phone takes a smaller size card.  I have only today registered on-line with EE in the hope I could get this phone up and running, but alas I am a bit confused about the whole process!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: unlock phone that does not have a phone number

Hello @stellag your husband can unlock it for free using his old PAYM number whether it is still active or not or you can unlock it yourself as a second hand device for £8.99:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-your-device/Unlocking-your-EE-mobile-phone-or-device/td-p/55...

🙂

3 REPLIES 3
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Hello @stellag your husband can unlock it for free using his old PAYM number whether it is still active or not or you can unlock it yourself as a second hand device for £8.99:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-your-device/Unlocking-your-EE-mobile-phone-or-device/td-p/55...

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@stellag  The device doesn’t need to be unlocked if your both using EE.  If you wish to keep your number it’s best to go to a store or ring customer services and request a replacement SIM card.  You can not just go and get any SIM card to do this.  

If you still want the device unlocked ask your husband to fill out the online unlocking request form with his details and yes put his phone number in that he is still using.    The unlock will be free for him to do but you will be charged as it’s a 2nd hand device.  

You  will also need to manually enter the IMEI number of the device you wish to unlock.  To get this on the dial keypad dial in *#06#.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Your husband can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it used to have. It will first show the current phone on that number & ask whether that is the device you want to unlock? If not, you will then have to type in the IMEI of the old phone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.