by ivegotpost Investigator
Investigator

keep getting cant check unlock status message on iphone unlock

so i keep seeing this message

im at the end of my contract and awaiting my upgrade iPhone XS Max but i was told my existing iPhone 7 Plus should be unlocked already but it isnt after trying another sim in it today. after trying a sim i thought i better see if it has been and every time i put my IMEI number in i see the above message. what gives?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: keep getting cant check unlock status message on iphone unlock

If the device had been on your contract for at least 6 months, even if that contract has now been cancelled, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. It will tell if your device has already been unlocked.

You don't need to restore your iPhone just to unlock it to use on another network..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
2 REPLIES 2
by ivegotpost Investigator
Investigator

after finding a help topic, i see this which is what i saw when i tried another sim card in the phone today :-

why should i have to erase and restore the iPhone for a simple carrier update? thats all it used to be a case of.

what gives? i dont want to have to erase and restore the phone to use it on another sim card, that is just moronic and stupid if that is expected to be the case.

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

If the device had been on your contract for at least 6 months, even if that contract has now been cancelled, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. It will tell if your device has already been unlocked.

You don't need to restore your iPhone just to unlock it to use on another network..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.