by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

iPhone automatic unlock...

So according to information from EE (https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to...), my iPhone should have been unlocked automatically as it was purchased directly from EE, on/after the specified date, etc.

So why is it that my phone is locked? I can't use my new SIM, and I've used the online checker and it says it's locked. I've requested it to be unlocked but I'm not sure why I should have to do this considering the information that is provided on the website. Is there something I'm missing?

13 REPLIES 13
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: iPhone automatic unlcok...

@tamsco, How long have you had the I-Phone? It is locked for a specific time before it can be unlocked, when after six months you can request the unlock, otherwise it is 18 months before the automatic unlock.

If it is 18 months, I would suggest you speak to customer service to find out why, although the suggestion may be to speak to Apple.

Have you now requested the unlock? Then this will happen within the next ten days?

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

I've had it for 24 months.

Yes I have requested it to be unlocked, but I'm now in the position where I have a new SIM card that won't work on my phone, potentially for the next ten days which is frustrating as I'm paying my new provider.

Maybe I shouldn't have assumed my phone was actually unlocked, but considering the information is clearly stated on the EE website I didn't have any reason to believe otherwise. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@tamsco, It is meant to be automatic after 18 months, but things can go wrong, with my I-Phone X , I had it unlocked, but when checking it said locked , tried an 02 card from someone and it worked was online with it, so not sure why not for you, but unlocking can take 10 days, always best to make sure, I’ did not need it unlocked, but just wanted to see if it would be and would work.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tamsco,

Welcome back to the community.

Was the iPhone purchased after 1 September 2015?

Was it attached to a corporate account?

Thanks

James

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

It was purchased directly from EE September 2016, and it's a personal account.

by

Thanks for confirming @tamsco

Please get in touch so our customer service team can look into this for you.

James

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

Re: iPhone automatic unlock...

Well I can't phone customer service- my EE account is closed and I can't make or receive calls using my new provider as my phone is locked.

I spoke to an EE advisor earlier today, who said it was 'partially unlocked' and advised to follow the steps provided here: https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/how-do-i-set-up-my-ip...

I have followed the steps but my phone is still locked.

by

Hi @tamsco,

From what customer services have told you, it sounds like the unlock has been completed by Apple.

Did you see an error message at any point in the process?

Thanks

James

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

When I insert my new SIM, it says "SIM Not Supported....The SIM card you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a network provider that is not supported under the activation policy currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported network provider or request this iPhone be unlocked by your network provider."

So it seems as if it is still locked.

by

Hi @tamsco,

It sounds like your new provider doesn't support iPhone activations.

Do you have another SIM card you could try?

Thanks

James

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

Slightly off topic...

I've requested an unlock for my iPhone using the online form, but just realised I used my own number (which I can't receive texts on...) to receive the code. If I submit another form with a different valid contact number, should I receive the code on the correct number?

by

Good Morning @tamsco.

You don't receive a code for an iPhone unlock, so you won't need to request it again 🙂

Once it has been unlocked, you would just need to follow the instructions on how to unlock your iPhone.

The unlock is usually completed within 3-5 days, but can take a maximum of 10 days.

Jon

by tamsco Contributor
Contributor

Oh okay that's good!

Cheers Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.