by al3xxxinho Investigator
Investigator

iPhone XR locked to Orange

Hello,

Recently, I've bought an iPhone XR from someone in the UK using an online buy and sell platform.

The seller mentioned that the iPhone is locked on EE network and that can be unlocked by calling EE and requesting an unlock. He also mentioned that it will cost under 10 pounds.

Today, I've called EE at "0800 956 6000" and asked for an unlock.

The operator told me the following:

- iphone is under contract, pay monthly or something like this and cannot be unlocked

- iphone is not reported lost or stolen

- contact has not been paid anymore

- iphone cannot be unlocked until it reaches 6 months

The operator mentioned that I am eligible for an unlock after those 6 months have passed, regardless of the owner paying his bills or not.

My question is: If the original owner of the contract does not pay his bill, will this iPhone be blacklisted ? Will I be able to unlock it after 6 months or I will just us it as a paperweight.

I am not an UK citizen, I was in UK for an internship, and was unaware of EE's policy.

Please note that this iPhone came with all it's accesories and the box, and has my personal iCloud registered on it, so stealing it is out of the question.

I am asking all of the above because depending on your answer I am considering filing a police complaint for fraud.

If someone who works on EE wants the IMEI number, S/N or any other details, I will be more than happy to give them via a PM to the respective user.

Thank you !

11 REPLIES 11
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: iPhone XR locked to Orange

Hi @al3xxxinho A lot of sales on third party sites are fraudulent, they get your money and then reported lost as part of an insurance scam, and the phone you have is blacklisted and there is nothing you can do to remove the block. Also, if the original owner doesn't pay his bill, the phone gets blacklisted.  Again, there is nothing you can do to remove this block.

If it was me, I'd try and get a refund.

Investigator

Hello @chistery

I specifically asked the Operator if the phone gets blacklisted if the bill is not paid, and he mentioned that it gets blacklisted only in the case it is reported lost or stolen.

He also mentioned that this bill not being paid will not affect me in any way if I want to unlock it after 6 months.

The phone is 3 months old and I think that the bill was not paid from the first month. At this moment it seems that the phone is still Clean and not Blacklisted.

I am still waiting for an official response from EE.

Tried contacting the seller but it seems that I can't get in touch with him.

Thank you !

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I doubt the operator told you that the phone bill hasn't been paid. They wouldn't discuss other person account with you. This is against DPA.

If not paid it will.be blacklisted. So if it has gone 3 months it will most likely be blacklisted anytime now.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Investigator

Hello @BrendonH

The operator told me exactly what was written here, I have no intention in lying to anyone.

I don't think it's against DPA because he did not specify any other details such as name, address, phone no, other than telling me that the bill was not paid.

I am just trying to do something about this as I do not want to have a paperweight that I cannot use. It's unfortunate how easy you can get scammed nowadays.

Thank you !

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If the seller has stopped responding to you then I am afraid it is most likely you have been scammed.

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Afternoon @al3xxxinho :). 

If a bill has not been paid within the first six months of an agreement we may look to blacklist a handset

No handset can be unlocked until the contract is older than six months.

I hope this clarifies, 

Katie

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@al3xxxinho  While your not in the UK the blacklisting will not happen on that device and it will continue to work it or if you put a EE sim in the device and it gets a signal while your out of the UK it will get blacklisted. If you come to the UK the device will pickup the signal to blacklist the device. Blacklisting of that device will only work in the UK or if a EE sim gets put in that device. 

If the device has been blacklisted it will not be unlocked at all.  

Investigator

Hello @Katie_B and thank you for your answer.

You are saying that "we may look to blacklist a handset.", which in my opinion is different than "we will surely block your handset".

Is therea a way to avoid having this handset blacklisted ? 

I can give you all the necesary details ( IMEI, S/N, etc ) in a private message so that you may have a better view over this situation.

I am sorry for this situation, but I really don't want to be the one that will loose in this situation, considering that I was a honest buyer.

Thanks for understanding.

Kind regards,
Robert

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello @Chris_B

The phone is locked to EE/Orange so I cannot use it outside UK.

Thank you !

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You may be an honest buyer but the seller isn't honest.

EE wont get any payment for the handset so the handset belongs to them not you.

You effectively are.handling stolen goods but obviously this wouldn't be looked at.

There is nothing to stop the blacklist unless the original owner starts paying 

by
EE Community Support Team

If the handset is being blacklisted due to non payment, there is no way to prevent this other than the account being up to date @al3xxxinho

I understand your frustration, I would recommend trying to contact the seller again.

Katie 

Investigator

Ok then, I understand your point.

Well, fingers crossed and I hope it does not get blacklisted till the end of those 6 months.

It's obvious I won't be able to contact the seller so I'm left here with the waiting and the fraud.

Thank you all for your comments and implication.

I wish you all the best !

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.