by Agentile
Explorer

iPhone Unlock

Hi there,

I've recently upgraded from an iPhone SE to an iPhone 8 and I'm using the same SIM in the new phone. All is great. I'd like to unlock my old phone (SE) however, to sell.

At the time I assumed that because my contract is on EE my phone would be automatically unlocked as I bought it at the end of 2016, so... I erased all the settings and data and reset the phone. What I didn't realize was that because I bought my phone from a third party site I would have to request an unlock.

I've filled out the form and the unlock request is in place but I have a few questions if you would be so kind as to answer.

Would I receive the text notification to my new phone?

When it comes through what procedure must I follow? Would I be able to plug the phone into iTunes, when the phone has already been erased?

Or... because the phone has already been erased would I have to simply do a hard reset with the home and power button?

I'm a little lost and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: iPhone Unlock

You should not need to unlock it. From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was sold on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Agentile
Explorer

That's only if you bought it directly from EE. So I was told.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Agentile and welcome to the community.

You will receive a text on the telephone number you entered as a contact number.

To complete the unlock you would need to place another SIM in the device and perform a backup and restore.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Agentile  You will also need to remove the device from your Apple account.  Just wiping the device is not enough as iPhones are linked to your Apple account so no one can use this device if it’s lost or stolen. 

On your new device go to Settings>Click your Name at the top and scroll down to the device that needs to be removed,  click it and then click “Remove From Account.  You have to do this as any one purchasing the device will not be able to setup the device as it would still be linked to your Apple account. 

Once you have done this do not set the device up as you’ll only connect it back to your Apple account and you’ll need to remove it again. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.