by lizanne1
Explorer

Why will EE not unlock my phone

I have been trying since 1st February to get EE to unlock my phone. I bought the phone outright from an EE shop with a sim only contract. On requesting the unlock I was told that this was not possible as the phone was an employee's ex phone. This was not accurate but despite proving that the phone was bought as new and the original shop intervening on my behalf the phone remains locked. I am currently on an extended stay in Australia and want to use a local network sim. I can' until the phone is unlocked. To say I am frustrated is an understatement. 

7 REPLIES 7
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Why will EE not unlock my phone

Hello @lizanne1 there is no access to accounts for anyone to check why your device has not yet been unlocked through here. Only customer service or Live Chat online will be able to see this information:

https://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch

How old is the device? EE will only unlock a PAYM device that is 6 months or older. For the first 6 months of the contract the device belongs to EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lizanne1: Didn't you buy this phone outright as a PAYG phone together a SIM-only on contract? Or maybe you are just referring to the PAYG SIM already supplied with a PAYG phone?

Is the employee you were told supposed to be an EE employee?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lizanne1
Explorer

I bought the phone and then purchased the SIM only contract (12 months). I have just come off the phone to EE who still insist the phone is an EE employee's phone and therefore the phone cannot be unlocked. It isn't an employee's phone but if they insist that it is then I was sold the phone under false pretences. In which case I will be contacting my lawyer. I will be expecting not only a full refund on the phone but compensation for the inconvenience caused plus any additional cost of replacing the phone. To say I'm outraged is an understatement. EE have just lost a customer, not only my mobile phone contract but also my landlines and broadband ... without payment of a penalty. Bitterly disappointed with EE's customer service.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I am sorry to hear you were unable to resolve this amicably through customer service.

If you would like to make a formal complaint to EE you can here:

http://ee.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/security/ways-to-complain

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lizanne1  You will have to take this up with the shop that sold you the device.   If what you are being told about this device is correct then the store should not of sold you this device.   And there is no law stating that a device has to be unlocked just because you want it unlocked especially if the device should not of been sold to you. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lizanne1

Welcome to the community.

Due to the nature of your query, I recommend speaking to our complaints team about this.

They will be able to take your mobile number and the IMEI number of the phone and investigate this further for you.

You can find contact details for our complaints team on our ways to complain help and support page.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sounds like someone in the EE shop you bought it from has been up to some shenanigans / breaking the law / misrepresentation / fraud :(.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions