by Mstarr636
Explorer

Why does EE charge to unlock a phone?

Hello,

I'd like to know why EE charges £8.99 to unlock a phone when my partner's service provider (O2) will unlock his for free? We were in both O2 and EE stores Thursday and EE will charge but O2 won't. We are going to New York next month and I don't want to pay £40+ for using my phone there so I want to use an American sim but I don't understand why EE charge for unlocking...

3 REPLIES 3
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Why does EE charge to unlock a phone?

HI, 

@Mstarr636

If you are a pay as you go customer with ee then unlock your phone is free. 

If you out of  your minimum contract it also free. 

But if you still in your minimum contract then you need to pay £8.99, and you can only request after your 6 month in contract. 

More information can find here Unlocking your phone

Thanks 

by Mstarr636
Explorer

Hi @tahirmian Thanks for your reply. I read that before posting but it doesn't explain why EE charges £8.99 to unlock when other providers are doing it for free.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Simply because they can. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions