by Soozielew
Visitor

Why am i locked to EE with an unlocked iphone and payg customer?

I bought an unlocked iphone and a payg sim from EE. Now my phone is locked and it wont accept a giffgaff SIM card.  Why did EE lock my phone without my permission.  Where does it say that this is acceptable.  It appears now that i have to pay 8.99 to unlock it.  Is this correct.  If this is the case, i am really disappointed in EE. 

3 REPLIES 3
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Why am i locked to EE with an unlocked iphone and payg customer?

It will depend on where you purchased the iPhone.  Not all unlocked iPhones are the same.

Some iPhones will remain unlocked all the time (those purchased from Apple for example), other will lock to the first SIM card inserted into it.

Many other retailers do sell 'unlocked' iPhones, however, those will SIM lock to the first SIM card inserted in to them, which in your case was an EE SIM card.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Soozielew

Thanks for joining community 🙂

@Profile closed is right and it could be that the iPhone is now locked to our network.

Please see our Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device support article and this will direct you to the right process to fix this.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Soozielew wrote:

I bought an unlocked iphone and a payg sim from EE.

If you bought both these together from EE than the phone isn't unlocked but locked to EE. All phones bought from EE are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions