by Dimitah
Explorer

Why I can't unlock an EE iPhone with my Pay As You Go SIM?

Hey guys,

I have a Pay As You SIM card, which I've had for 2 years or more and recently I purchased an second hand iPhone 8 Plus which is locked to EE. I have just tried to unlock it, but after entering the IMEI, it says I can't unlock this device. Why is that?

Obviously, I am on EE and this is the main reason I bought the phone. But would also want to unlock it anyway.

Regards!

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why I can't unlock an EE iPhone with my Pay As You Go SIM?

You cannot use the online unlocking form or an EE PAYG SIM to unlock 2nd-hand devices.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Dimitah
Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for the informative answer.

I am really against giving my bank details over the phone, isn't there another way? I don't mind paying the fee though.

I am waiting to also even receive the receipt for the phone as it still in warranty. It all should be good with it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

You don't need to give your bank details; just your credit/debit card no. just as you would buying anything else. You are not a cust of EE for the phone, so they can't charge you thro' a bill.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Dimitah

Thanks for coming to the community.

@XRaySpeX is correct, you would need to give us a call on 0800 956 6000 to request the iPhone to be unlocked.

When you call us, you will need the below details;

• IMEI number of the phone or device (you can enter *#06# on the device to get this)

• Contact number

• Contact email address

• UK credit or debit card to make the payment to make the £8.99 payment.

Full information can be found on our How to unlock a second hand device locked to EE post.

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.