by steve2cfc
Explorer

Unlocking

I read somewhere that if you have a phone on contract you don't have to pay to get it unlocked anymore. Is this true & if so why doesn't it apply to PAYG phones? Smiley Sad

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Unlocking

@steve2cfc That is correct once the minimum contract term has been served its free to unlock. It is also free on payg phones direct from EE 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
by steve2cfc
Explorer

So if your phone's not from EE does that mean it will cost £'s? Seems a bit unfair!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If it's locked to a different network it is down to that network to unlock it.

If you bought it new on EE It will be free if you buy it secondhand it costs £8.99

Full info here http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device

__________________________________________________________________________________________
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Those are the rules. More information on unlocking can be found here.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Both are untrue! If the contract phone is still within its contract term it costs £8.99 to unlock but cannot be unlocked within 6 months of being purchased. Once its min. term has expired it is free to unlock provided you bought it directly from EE.

PAYG phones are always free to unlock provided again you bought it directly from EE.

In both cases the free unlock does not apply if you bought the phone from another retailer or it is 2nd. hand. Then it costs £8.99.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@XRaySpeX Both what are untrue? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The statements/Qs in OP.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Got ya 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.