Order now
x
Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Unlocking your mobile phone or device – The EE quick guide

Update 29th of September

Hi Everyone,

There has been some changes to our Device Unlocking policy. This is following a government announcement earlier in the year, on the back of this year’s budget.

As of the 29th of September;

• Pay as you go customers who purchase an EE Pay as you go device, can request their device to be unlocked free of charge

• Pay Monthly customers can request their device to be unlocked free of charge – once the contract for that device has been completed.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

We often get posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone unlocked on EE.

Below you’ll find the standard unlocking process as well as the criteria you’ll need to meet, and also some advice for those of you that have purchased a second-hand EE device.

What’s the process for unlocking your phone?

When you want to unlock your phone or device, you’ll need to contact the network that your phone is currently locked to (i.e. not the one you want to swap to).

First, gather your facts and figures

• You’ll need your mobile’s phone number, manufacturer, model and IMEI Number (you can enter *#06# on the device to get this)

• Are you on pay monthly, pay as you go or SIM only?

• The cost for unlocking is £8.99

Contact your current network provider

If your phone or device is currently locked to EE, Orange or T-Mobile, here’s how you can request your unlock code:

1. You can apply to unlock your device using our online form

2. Fill out the unlock form via your My Account

3. Call us on 150 (charges might apply).

If your device is locked to another network please contact that provider, charges may apply.

Meet EE’s criteria for unlocking 

• Have an active or recently terminated EE, Orange or T-Mobile pay monthly account.

• You must have had the device on your contract for at least 6 months.

• Have no outstanding balance on your account.

If you’re on pay as you go:

• The device must not have been reported lost or stolen.

• The pay as you go account must be active and fully registered.

• You need to have enough credit to cover the £8.99 unlocking cost.

• It must not be a pay monthly device that is less than 6 months old.

Trying to unlock a second-hand phone or device?

• If you are a non EE customer and have a second hand device that is locked to EE, T-Mobile or Orange, you can request the device to be unlocked by contacting Customer Services.
  • The cost to unlock the device is £8.99.
  • Unfortunately, requests for unlocking second hand devices cannot be made by using the online form.
  • If you discover that the device you have purchased has been blacklisted, your best course of action is to contact the seller. Devices that have been blacklisted have generally been reported as lost or stolen.

Some more important points

• All phones, mi-fi devices, dongles and tablets purchased directly from EE are locked to our network.

• If ever we are unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you and refund the unlocking fee, if it has been charged. We will also report this to the manufacturer.

Frequently asked unlocking questions

• How do I know if my phone is locked?

Try a different SIM in your phone. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your phone is locked.

• What is my IMEI number and how do I find it?

IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your phone/device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

• How much does unlocking cost? At EE, the cost of unlocking a phone or device that is locked to our network is £8.99.

• How long does it take to unlock? It normally takes up to ten days ­– however sometimes it may take longer if we have to contact the manufacturer. If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch.

• I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my device? Yes, you can either contact customer services to request the unlock against your old account or go to an EE Store.

• How will I receive my unlock code? If you are getting an iPhone or a Samsung unlocked, the unlock details will be sent via a text message. If the phone is not in use, you’ll need to provide another UK mobile number as an alternative contact. For any other device the information will be sent to the email address you provided.

Did you know?

• Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

• Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone can become blocked in a number of ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row). To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key)code. For help with your PUK code see the PUK help pages.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask below. 

Smiley Happy

60 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking your mobile phone or device – The EE quick guide

@Karen_C: I'd just like to clarify the PAYG section as I find it contradictory as it stands:

Karen_C wrote:

It must not be a pay monthly device that is less than 6 months old.:

The device that the PAYG SIM is in must not have been a pay monthly device that is less than 6 months old.:

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Phi Investigator
Investigator

Asked in store, was told they did not do it.
Am I supposed to find another EE store?
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Phi,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm very sorry the store you visited were unable to process your unlock for you.

Please can you let me know which store it was so we can get in touch and make sure they are aware of the correct unlocking policy.

Thanks

James

by clare_chibuku Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I just posted this on the main board but maybe it's better here?

Hi, my friend wants to sell me his EE Phone 5 but he can't get it unlocked

Hi,

No phone unlock shop will unlock it for me.

When my friend (the owner and original account holder) tries to unlock it online he gets a message saying 'the phone is not regsitered to this account'

He's called customer services AND went into a shop who both told him that as the phone is no longer registered to his EE account, there is nothing they can do.

Surely this cannot be right? It clearly says on the website that the phone can be unlocked by EE for £8.99

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device

He is 100% the original owner - can anyone advise if there is a way around this please?

Thanks for your time,

Clare

by

Welcome to the Community @clare_chibku

Because you are purchasing the phone 2nd hand from your friend the only way to unlock the device would be in one of our stores.

The phone does not need to be registered to any account for this to happen.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Phi Investigator
Investigator

Hi

No way would I say your service was good.

Why - follow my experience.

Visit store . They hear the problem, they do not do unlocking in store.

Go on line or at another shop.

Tried both on line. failed, Joined community and learnt they did do it in store and you paid.

Why? Do I have to 'join community' to find out simple things.

Started in store ie 3rd attempt 18/02/16.

I told them I had to fill in form - /instruction needed I paid £8.99.

My friend got the text!  Telling her to go on line. I did, it did not.

I phoned 150 nice man reasured would do. 10 days

Phone call in progress

Then nothink.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Phi

My colleague @James_B has already replied to your other posts asking for additional details. 

I do apologise that you've been having issues with the unlocking service.

When did you last speak to customer services?

Thanks. Smiley Happy

by Hivemind1
Visitor

I am getting very frustrated requesting your company to do a simple task and am beginning to think your customer support team are just a bunch of **bleep** flinging gibbons. I requested in January originally that my phone be unlocked as I was going abroad and would need to use a Spanish SIM and after now two months your appalling customer support has failed miserably to perform the simplest of tasks and obviously need babysitting through this process, so I recommend you get a random bum from the street to show your support team how to unlock a phone as apparently he must be more qualified than you "trained" professionals (I use the term very loosely). Below is my last attempt at getting this sorted with your poor excuse for a company.

I look forward to hearing from you but I won't be holding my breath...

"Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the unlocking of your mobile phone. I am sorry to hear that you requested this at the beginning of January; however, you have not received this.
After reviewing your account, I can see that we were unable to process the unlocking of your mobile phone as you had not held your account for 6 months.
As the 6 months has now elapsed, I have resent your request and arranged for the confirmation of your unlocking to be sent to you at this email address. Please allow 14 working days for this arrive.
Thank you again for your email. I trust the information I have provided will be helpful.
Kind regards
Nicola XXXXXX
Customer Relations

On 30/01/2016 17:35, noreply@ee.co.ukwrote:

Problem details: On what I believe to be the fifth of January I called 150 to have my pay monthly phone unlocked as I was leaving the country and would need to get a SIM card from Spain for my phone, I was worried I would need to accept a phone call or some such using the phone to finish unlocking it (as I was leaving the uk on the sixth and had forgotten phones needed unlocking) but I was assured no all I would need access too is my email to finish the procedure so I agreed to paying the charge and was told I would receive an email within ten working days. After now four weeks of waiting I have not received any message and am currently struggling to get by here without access to my mobile and I do not feel I should have to go and buy a new one as I have a phone that can be used fine. I would like to be contacted by email as for obvious reasons I have no contact number for you to call."

[Mod edit: Please do not post employees full names in this public forum. Thanks]

by Kevp
Visitor

Sadly I am having a similar problem as other people seem to having!

I have recently bought a second hand Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE (off the well known auction site!), it's an EE phone locked to the EE network and seems to work just fine.

I researched a bit about the best way to get it unlocked, and the most practical way is obviously take it to an EE store and follow the procedures there.

Sadly I have visited two stores in my neighborhood in the last two days and both have refused to do anything about it! The manager in my local store explained that they go through the procedure of taking the customers money ... £8.99 , and generate the necessary instruction/forms and all they get are angry customers coming back to them who are not getting emails regarding the unlocking, and this is sometimes many weeks later!

I have also spoken to several customer services people (via 0800 956 6000) and all I get is the same story time and again, take it to a store, there is no other way!, and they seem unable or unwilling to pass me on to any other department to help sort this out.

I'm not blaming any of your staff for any of these problems I must say, but there is definately something wrong here that needs to be looked at.

I've been going around in circles for past two days and got absolutely nowhere with this, very frustrating!!

So are there any other departments I can speak to about this? ... phone numbers, email address possibly?

by

Welcome to the Community @Kevp

I understand your frustration with this issue.

The stores are they only people that can unlock 2nd hand phones.

I have sent you a Private Message to look into this further for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Stan_Laurel Investigator
Investigator

I paid in store to have my Iphone 4s unlocked on the 21/01/2016. I'm still waiting.

Read more

by iPeteM

Hello, could you please help me with something.

I've recently switched from o2 to EE, I paid off the remainder of my contract with o2 and they have sent me my PAC. I've taken up a new contract with EE and intend to use my 'old' number. I recieved messages on my o2 phone saying the switch over has been completed but when I put my o2 SIM into my EE phone it asks for an unlock code. How do I generate this code? I have my PAC and IMEI number here.

Another slight problem is that I've registered on EE.co.uk with my old 'o2' number, so when I try to transfer over using the form on this site (https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/keeping-your-number/) it asks me for my old number - which they have listed as the temporary number - so that doesn't work.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

A PAC code only moves a number across networks it doesn't unlock a device.  If you want to unlock your old o2 phone you need to ask o2 to unlock it.  

by

Hi @iPeteM,

Welcome to the Community.

You don't need to put your O2 SIM card into your new EE phone.

Use the new SIM card that came with your phone and your O2 number will be transferred onto it.

I've sent you a private message with a link to chat with customer service online. They will take your PAC and start the number transfer for you.

Thanks for choosing EE.

James

by siburrman Investigator
Investigator

Free unlocking for PAYG customers? Summer 2016

Hi,

I have read from the Uswitch website that EE will allow PAYG customers to unlock their phones for free from Summer 2016?

“This summer we’ll be going a step further – our Pay Monthly customers will be able to request to unlock their phone for free at the end of their contract, and Pay as you Go customers can request to unlock their phone for free at any time,”

Is this true? If so when willl this happen? 

Thanks

by siburrman Investigator
Investigator

Hi, 

I have read that EE will allow PAYG customers to unlock their phones for free:

“This summer we’ll be going a step further – our Pay Monthly customers will be able to request to unlock their phone for free at the end of their contract, and Pay as you Go customers can request to unlock their phone for free at any time,”

When will this be happening? 

Thanks

by

Hi @siburrman,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

Please keep an eye on this thread, it will be updated when any changes are made to the unlocking process.

Thanks

James

by Grigori

by

Hi and welcome to the Community @Grigori

How may we help you today?

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.