by
EE Community Support Team

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

We often see posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone or device unlocked on EE.

All devices purchased directly from EE, either pay as you go or pay monthly, are locked to our network.

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

You can now check the lock status of your EE Apple device via the online unlock request form or by texting UNLOCK to 150.

If you do not have an Apple device, or bought this before 1 September 2015 please use the links below to unlock the device.

If your Pay Monthly Apple device is locked, you can now unlock this directly through My EE online, simply login when directed.

How do I know if my phone or device is locked?

Try a different network SIM card in your device. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your device is locked. Text UNLOCK to 150 to check the status of your Apple device.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it?

IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my phone or device?

Yes, you can fill in the online unlock request form.

How will I receive my unlock code?

If you are getting an iPhone or a Samsung unlocked, the unlock details will be sent via a text message. If the device is not in use, you’ll need to provide another UK mobile number as an alternative contact. For any other device the information will be sent to the email address you provided.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you and refund the unlocking fee, if it has been charged. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch with Customer Care.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone or device can become blocked in several ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row).

To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) code.

For help with your PUK code see the help page >

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

26 REPLIES 26
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

@James_B   

Got to give it to EE on this as it took less than a minute to unlock my device from request confirmation to confirmation of unlock.  This beats my previous best of just under 36 hours.  

EC2F117D-3D31-4B4F-8309-D2ADD63C686F.jpeg

by

Hi @Chris_B

It's great that your handset has been unlocked before the full given timescale. Thank you for leaving this feedback!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday afternoon and that the weather is better than rainy Newcastle.

Katie 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Katie_B   The weather is ok I might even cut the grass in a bit.  

by filrod

I'm from Portugal and I found on Ebay an Iphone locked to EE UK, second hand, that I would like to buy. Can I unlocked it just calling EE? thank you

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@filrod   Providing the device is  eligible to be unlocked, because the  original owner has owned it for more than six months since purchasing it from EE then you can request the unlock of the device.  You will however need to pay the unlock fee via a UK credit/debt card.     

You will be better off asking for the seller to do this though. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Also watch for scams where the eller can then report the phone lost/stolen to claim on insurance and the phone will be blacklisted.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by

Hi @filrod,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

You can find out everything you need to know in How to unlock a second-hand phone or device locked to EE.

Hope this helps.

James

by ricstrr
Visitor

Hi, I'm about to upgrade and donate my old phone (Pixel 1) to the wife (who's on a different network) but the auto-unlock isn't due to happen for another two weeks. Will the auto unlock work if I'm using my new phone or do I have to have my sim in it on the exact date for it to do it?

by

Hi @ricstrr,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Yes, your phone would still be unlocked automatically.

Thanks for your question.

James

by G3WYP
Explorer

I bought my LG phone at my local EE store in 2017 and used my Plusnet sim without problems. I am changing Network and asked for my unlock code last Friday 19th using the online form on EE website, I received an email telling me I would receive a code by SMS or email in 72 Hrs. I cannot use the phone as it says Network Locked.I have not received a code. I have tried phoning EE but they do not recognise my number and I get disconnected. I called at the shop I bought the phone from and staff very helpful but like me were unable to get hold of anyone at EE but did advise that 72 Hrs might not include weekends so to wait until today, Wednesday. Still nothing. Can anyone assist please?

Derek

by G3WYP
Explorer

Now unlocked thanks to this excellent forum. I searched around and found another thread which had an 0800 number so I rang up and the staff there were great and I received my unlock code so phone now working.

Thank you Forum.

Derek

by

Hi @G3WYP.

Welcome to the community, I'm glad you're able to find your way around 🙂

Thanks for letting us know you're all sorted!

Jon

by Lou2016a Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I took out my current contract with EE in August 2017 and as I've got few days left of my contract remaining, when trying to unlock my Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017)

I get the following message when trying to unlock my phone form online and have tried this several times:

Sorry, something went wrong.
We were not able to process your request unfortunately.

Please go through the form again, checking your answers, and making any corrections where necessary.

Thanks

by

Morning @Lou2016a

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you get in touch with our unlocking team they will be able to help you with your unlocking request.

Leanne 🙂

Established Contributor

Hi,

I tried to contact EE today to unlock my phone as I have now changed providers but when I entered my mobile phone number it said that it was not recognised.

The number I dialed was 08000798586 

Thanks

by

Hello @Lou2016a

Thanks for coming back to the community 🙂

If you can call us on 0800 956 6000 we will help you get the phone unlocked.

Let me know how you get on.

Leanne.

by Phunt72 Investigator
Investigator

Phone is unlocked now
As I said I had no way of contacting you because old would not charge tried
everything and the other phone was locked to EE so no way of using it
Plus don’t no how much it would cost me phoning from Cyprus to get my old
phone unlocked probably more then it’s worth
Established Contributor

I tried 0800 956 6000 and they are still unable to recognise my mobile phone number

by

Hi @Lou2016a 

I've sent you a private message. Please take a look at your inbox and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.