Re: Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

Great news @Abz87

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Sazwan29
Explorer

I am currently also having the same issue. The customer service guy is telling im looking  at the page that states iPhones will be unlocked after 18 months on the apple website but I was sent the link by an EE representative and it clearly states it’s the EE website! Then also seeing another page that states 21 months on the EE site but being told that it wouldn’t be free until my contract ends next week and I’ll have to pay £8.99!! 

Very unhelpful not to mention MISLEADING and poor customer service! I will not be recommending EE in the future

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sazwan29  It’s after 21 months not 18 and it’s devices purchased from EE by yourself on your account. that are unlocked for free.   And this only covers devices purchased after Nov 2015. 

by Sazwan29
Explorer

All of which mine is 👍🏼

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Sazwan29

Thanks for coming here to community Smiley Happy

All devices purchased directly from EE, either pay as you go or pay monthly, are locked to our network.

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was sold on or after 1 November 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 21 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 November 2015.

If your device fits this criteria then it will be unlocked for free.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy

by kmac87

Hi

i bought my iPhone 7 from mobiles.co.uk on 2 December 2016 - it will be 18 months on 2 June 2018. Will this be unlocked for free automatically? I will be travelling to Indonesia on 21 June and need an unlocked handset when there.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/unlock-your-phone/unlock-a-ee-device-to...

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kmac87   that’s for devices that are purchased from EE and yours wasn’t.  And it does state that on the page you linked too.    You will need to request it to be unlocked and you will be charged £8.99 as your still in contract. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kmac87 and welcome to the community.

The automatic unlocking is only available for handsets that have been purchased directly from EE.

Many thanks,

Lee

by HG_UnlockMate
Explorer

Looking for your iPhone /or/ Smartphone Unlocked??

Well personally I’m not with EE but I needed to unlock my EE iPhone X. I’m with Vodafone... So I just went on the official EE unlocking setup. And in 72 hours (3days) My iPhone X was unlocked 🔓 it’s not too bad, although it’s paying it.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@HG_UnlockMate: The iPhone X is just over 6 months from 1st release. When did you buy it 2nd-hand, or pre-owned if you like?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@HG_UnlockMate  Your only way to unlock a device if it’s 2nd hand is by calling customer services and paying the unlocking fee.  So please explain what the unlocking setup is.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: Is it not possible, knowing the IMEI & original mobile no., to fill in the unlocking form as if you were the original owner?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX That would imply then that the original owner has given them the phone number to request the unlock and the original owner would pay for the unlock as it’s still on their account and it’s still within the payment period. And one could argue that the request to unlock the device was done by fraudulent means as the person requesting the unlock is not the original owner to request the unlock using the number of the account.  

But it yes it would be unlocked and payment will need to be made by the account holder of the device and not by the person requesting even if they have the number that the device is registered with. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks, @Chris_B, I was just checking the possibility of it, not the legality. The original SIM could still be in the phone.

I joined this conversation as I could envisage more drastic events occurring later on, as you can imagine.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  If the original sim is in the device then the original account holder is paying for a tariff that they can not use as they don’t have the sim with the number of that sim. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Whichever way something's not kosher!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.