by
EE Community Support Team

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

We often see posts in the community about phone and device unlocking. So here's a quick guide on how to get your phone unlocked on EE.

All devices purchased directly from EE, either pay as you go or pay monthly, are locked to our network.

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

You can now check the lock status of your EE Apple device here or by texting UNLOCK to 150.

If you do not have an Apple device or bought this before 1 September 2015 please use the below links to unlock the device.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you and refund the unlocking fee, if it has been charged. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

It can take up to ten days to receive your unlock code ­– however sometimes it may take longer if we have to contact the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch.

Frequently asked unlocking questions

How do I know if my phone is locked? Try a different network SIM card in your phone. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your phone is locked. Text UNLOCK to 150 to check the status of your Apple device.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it? IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your phone/device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my device? Yes, you can fill in the online form.

How will I receive my unlock code? If you are getting an iPhone or a Samsung unlocked, the unlock details will be sent via a text message. If the phone is not in use, you’ll need to provide another UK mobile number as an alternative contact. For any other device the information will be sent to the email address you provided.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone can become blocked in several ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row).

To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key)code.

For help with your PUK code see the help page>

If you have any further questions, let us know below.

38 REPLIES
by MuhammadUzair
Visitor

Re: Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

Hello Sir ,I have bought a Iphone 5 in late 2013 but it is still carrier locked  so can you help me by unlocking it if you need my IMEI so email me at ******************** Thank you

Muhammad Uzair

[MOD EDIT: Please do not post personal data onto a public forum]

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@MuhammadUzair  If you got the device yourself from EE you can use THIS.  If the device is second hand you will have to call EE customer services to request the unlock of the device and it will cost you £8.99.  The last time I checked it was payable via a UK credit/debt card.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @MuhammadUzair

Please do give follow the advice given by @Chris_B above to get your device unlocked.

Full details can be found on our unlocking your device page.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Gingebiscuit Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I have an iPhone 5c which completed a 24 month contract in August. The contract was renewed and I have received a new iPhone.

Can I get the original iPhone unlocked and is there a charge?? Confused because some comments say if the 24 mth contract has ended, unlocking is free. But when I sent the unlock request it said there was a charge. Technically the contract for the 5c had ended but the number had carried over to a new contract 🤔

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gingebiscuit: When you filled in the form did you tell it that it wasn't your new phone you wanted unlocked & did you then supply the IMEI of the old phone?  If not, it'll be thinking you want your new phone to be unlocked, for which there is a charge.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@XRaySpeX I logged into my account but did say it was a different phone to the new/current. Also added the IMEI and it identified the phone as a 5c. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gingebiscuit: Then you should be OK & it'll be free.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

@XRaySpeX thanks for the assist I want to pass the phone into one of the kids and this solves a few probs. Cheers again

by

Hi @Gingebiscuit

I hope you got everything you needed from us in the community and they great help given by @XRaySpeX to you is standard here.

Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by barquerole
Explorer

In this thread, it says an iPhone will be automatically unlocked when it is 21 months old, whereas on this page, it says 18 months. Because of the disparity, I contacted EE online chat.

My device (an iPhone SE) is 21 months old and according to EE chat, has NOT been unlocked automatically. When I asked why, they said there is a huge backlog, but I could pay £8.99 and get it done straight away. When I said that conflicts with what is on the EE site where it says it should happen automatically, I was told that the web page does not reflect the backlog situation.

So, all in all, I am pretty unimpressed.

by
EE Employee

Hi @barquerole and welcome to the community.

I have sent you a private message to help with this.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Abz87
Explorer

I’ve put through a unlock request twice through EE for my iPad mini. Last request was on 28th December 2017. 

Still not not heard anything from

ee, no mail or text after the initial email. What is going on with EE?! I am travelling soon and need my iPad unlocked! 

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @Abz87

I have sent you a Private Message to gain some details to assist.

Many thanks,

Lee

by shlozzy
Explorer

I got a confirmation email on 24/12/2017 saying;

"Thank you for your request to unlock your device.

The time it will take depends on the device you want to unlock:

• Apple iPhone / iPad - you'll get instructions on unlocking your device within 10 days.
  • Any other device - you'll get your unlocking code and instructions on how to unlock your device within 10 days.

For some handsets, we have to ask the manufacturer for your code.

If this applies to you, we'll text you on the number you've given us with details of any delays this may cause."

I'm still waiting....Any help appreciated.

[Apple IPhone 5SE]

by

Hi @shlozzy

Thanks for posting in community Smiley Happy

That is a long time, have you checked your emails?

Richard

Smiley Happy

by shlozzy
Explorer

Yes, no response in junk or standard inbox.

No ability to check on status on the EE website either.

by

Hi @shlozzy

I've sent you a private message here 

When you get back to me, I will try and help.

Cheers

Richard

Smiley Happy

by

Hi @shlozzy

I've sent the details on to the team for you and await further information.

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Abz87
Explorer

Thanks all, I rang up cc and the device was unlocked in less than 24 hours. FANTASTIC 🙂

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.