by
EE Community Support Team

Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device

[ Edited ]

All devices purchased directly from EE - either pay as you go or pay monthly - are locked to our network. In this post we’ll link to guides on how to unlock pay monthly, pay as you go and second-hand devices, which will give you all the information you need.

There are also some handy FAQ’s and information.

Important information

If we are ever unable to unlock a device due to software issues, we will contact you and refund the unlocking fee, if it has been charged. We will then direct you to the manufacturer.

It can take up to ten days to receive your unlock code ­– however sometimes it may take longer if we have to contact the manufacturer.

If you haven’t received your code within ten days and haven’t received a text saying we’re waiting for the codes from the manufacturer, please get in touch.

Frequently asked unlocking questions

How do I know if my phone is locked? Try a different network SIM card in your phone. If it doesn’t work, it is likely that your phone is locked.

What is my IMEI number and how do I find it? IMEI is your International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique number used to identify your individual device. Made up of around 15 digits, the code is typically found behind the battery or in your phone/device’s settings. You can also retrieve your IMEI by dialling *#06#.

I’m no longer an EE customer, can I still unlock my device? Yes, you can contact customer services to request the unlock.

How will I receive my unlock code? If you are getting an iPhone or a Samsung unlocked, the unlock details will be sent via a text message. If the phone is not in use, you’ll need to provide another UK mobile number as an alternative contact. For any other device the information will be sent to the email address you provided.

Did you know…?

Unlock codes are also known as: MEP code (Blackberry), NUC (Network Unlock Code), and subsidy PIN.

Unblocking is different to unlocking: Your phone can become blocked in a number of ways (for example, entering the wrong SIM PIN number three times in a row). To unblock your SIM card you will need to use something called a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key)code. For help with your PUK code see the PUK help pages.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask below!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.