by melb2302
Explorer

Unlocking second hand device

Hi there

I requested my device be unlocked via the web form and received a confirmation email over 3 days ago, advising it would take up to 72 hours to process. I ensured I had £8.99 in my account (as I am pre-paid) to cover the cost to unlock the device, which was taken  around 48 hours ago, but I've received no update on the unlocking status.

I called EE to query any updates and was advised the team were working on it and I should receive a code by today, which I haven't. I am unable to call them as I am in Australia and urgently need my phone unlocked so I can find a job here. Does anyone know if it is normal to take this long with no updates? It seems strange that the money has been debited but no updates provided for 2 days.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking second hand device

Hi @melb2302 

What device do you have?

It can take up to 10" days to unlock devices. 

Have you tried another SIM in your device?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by melb2302
Explorer

Hi @Northerner 

It's a samsung galaxy s6 edge. I understand that some devices may take up to 10 days but it says on the confirmation email that EE would be in touch to let me know if there is any delay beyond the 72 hours. 

Yes, I've tried another SIM but I need a code to unlock the device to use the SIM. When I spoke to EE customer service, the lady said it was being worked on and I could expect to receive an email/text within the next day, but it's now been 72 hours since that call.

Thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @melb2302,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

As @Northerner mentioned, it can take up to 10 days to receive an unlocking code from the manufacturer.

If you haven't had a response within 10 days, please let us know so we can chase it up for you.

Thanks

James

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions