Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking previous device after upgrade

Apologies if this has been asked before, but the guidance does not make it 100% clear.

I had a Huawei P20 on a 24 month contract. I have just upgraded to a new contract and device (Mate 20 Pro) after 22 months. I would now like to unlock the P20, but I am not clear on whether this will be free, or I will be charged £8.99. Please can you advise?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlocking previous device after upgrade

@fortysixand2   It will be free if you ended the contract that was on and started a new/upgrade contract.  Click the green wording below to go to the unlock form and fill it out with your details. You still enter your mobile phone number that you use in your new device and you must make sure you click the option that says unlock a different device you then manually entered the IMEI number of that device. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@fortysixand2   It will be free if you ended the contract that was on and started a new/upgrade contract.  Click the green wording below to go to the unlock form and fill it out with your details. You still enter your mobile phone number that you use in your new device and you must make sure you click the option that says unlock a different device you then manually entered the IMEI number of that device. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where did you get the Huawei originally? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or from a reseller or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

It was direct from EE with the contract (both the new and old devices).

Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

as far as im aware the device gets unlocked after the minimum commitment (24mnth)  you may want to check this tho 

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/device-unlock

COVERAGE CHECKER
https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee

FIND YOUR LOCAL STORE
https://ee.co.uk/store-finder

UNHAPPY AND WANT TO MAKE A COMPLAINT
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/make-a-complaint

MY EE APP ANDROID
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.ee.myee&hl=en_GB

MY EE APP APPLE
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/my-ee/id567457151

If you found my reply helpful please hit the like button 🙂

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Data78 : Most EE devices, except Apples, don't get auto unlocked. You have to request it.

@fortysixand2 : If the device had been on your contract for at least 6 months, even if that contract has now been cancelled, you can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it originally came with. It will first show your new current phone on that number, if any, & ask whether that is the device you want to unlock? If not, you will then have to type in the IMEI of the old phone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

thanks, i was told every device gets automatically unlocked at the end of the contract but that isn't the case. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Data78 : Who told you? Not EE surely?

Highlighted
Established Contributor

i wnt go into detail but yes it was from a manager at EE that informed me of that. a few months ago i should add.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@fortysixand2   As I stated it will be free as you upgraded so ended the contract that this device was on.  No 6 month rule applies as that contract is now finished as you started a new upgrade/contract.   

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks all for your help.

The online form did not recognise the IMEI number of my old device, therefore I had to call EE. Once through to the appropriate team, they were able to supply me with the unlock code within a few minutes, free of charge.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Glad to hear you got your phone unlocked @fortysixand2

Come back to the community anytime 🙂

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.