by ursecjo Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking phone bought abroad

Hello fellow EE community,

I just bought a used Nokia Lumia 520 from a man from Lithuania. The last one got broken, so I decided to move back to WP, so I've bought that phone, and when inserted the SIM card, phone was asking me for the unlock code. The man who sold me the phone said he didn't faced the errors, so I don't know what to do. I'm not that student who prefers broking the software to unlock the phone, I'm just a casual 15-years old Lithuanian student 😉

What should I do? BTW, I'm not ready to pay 8.99 just because I don't know how and via what.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Unlocking phone bought abroad

Hello there @ursecjo.

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you are a non EE customer and have a second hand device that is locked to EE, T-Mobile or Orange, you can request the device to be unlocked by contacting Customer Services.

The cost to unlock the device is £8.99.

For full help and support please see our EE unlocking information.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ursecjo   Your issue is with the seller not EE. 

But it if you want this unlocked it will cost you and you will have to pay via a credit card.  

by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Hello there @ursecjo.

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you are a non EE customer and have a second hand device that is locked to EE, T-Mobile or Orange, you can request the device to be unlocked by contacting Customer Services.

The cost to unlock the device is £8.99.

For full help and support please see our EE unlocking information.

Thanks.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ursecjo Investigator
Investigator

I understand that there's no way to unlock the phone without the payment of £8.99, but should I write a letter to EE?

The problem is that I don't even have a credit card and to convert money between two currencies (euro and pounds) would be still complicated.

plus, I can't call to the UK phone numbers from Lithuania 😕

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What's the point?

Why buy a phone locked to a foreign network, when you don't even know how to unlock it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by ursecjo Investigator
Investigator

The thing is that I didn't knew that the phone is locked. Seller says that it wasn't locked, but I don't know. I shall write a letter to the EE.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If the seller lied to you then ask for a refund.

You will not get this phone unlocked for free even by writing a letter to EE.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ursecjo  EE will not unlock it unless you pay and you have to call customer services to do this and writing a letter is not going to get it unlocked.

You're issue is with the seller and you need to take it up with them. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.