by Aphid
Explorer

Unlocking my S9+ Phone while on holiday and temporarily using Thai PAYG SIM

I’m going back to Thailand soon on holiday for a few weeks with family. I want to be able to keep in contact with them and old friends out there but to use EE add ons would be extremely expensive over 2-3 weeks. Simple solution is to buy a pay as you go Thai SIM card and use that while I’m there. Then put my EE SIM back in when I get back to the UK. Is that possible?

3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking my S9+ Phone while on holiday and temporarily using Thai PAYG SIM

Hi @Aphid 

You will need to unlock your device. 

Please read EE guide which explains the process:

HOW DO I UNLOCK AN EE DEVICE TO USE WITH ANOTHER NETWORK?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Aphid : Where did you get this device? Did you buy it yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The unlocking process & costs are different. Is it on contract or PAYG? How old is it?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Aphid
Explorer

Thanks for your suggestions. I spent quite a bit of time chatting to EE via Twitter. My Samsung S9+ is from a new EE upgrade over 12 months ago so paying EE £8.99 to unlock it permanently is the solution. That way I can use a Thai SIM while there then put my EE SIM back in when I return. And do the same in other non-EU countries, like Turkey. Interesting to discover that iPhones are automatically unlocked after 18 months, so for my wife, a more straightforward solution with her iPhone being three years old.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.