by Matt2018 Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking iPhone after leaving EE

Hi, I had a 24 month contract with EE on an iPhone 6S bought through Carphone Warehouse (which I have now completed and the UK number has been disconnected). I moved to Canada last month and picked up a SIM with a local company only to find my phone is locked. It states on the EE unlocking page of the site that any Apple device 18 months or older with EE will be automatically unlocked but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I filled out the form to get the device unlocked but the email said it would text me instructions within 72 hours. I can't receive texts as my UK number has been disconnected, I also can't call any of the help lines as my number is dead (although I would be reluctant to do so anyway for fear of massive charges for calling from overseas and being on hold)

It also won't let me make an account on MyEE as it doesn't recognise my phone number as being an EE one anymore so I can't get on live chat to talk to anyone.

This has all been very frustrating - can anyone help please? Would the Canadian Apple store be able to unlock my phone?

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking iPhone after leaving EE

@Matt2018 wrote:

It states on the EE unlocking page of the site that any Apple device 18 months or older with EE will be automatically unlocked but this doesn't seem to be the case.

It won't be in your case. It needed to be bought directly from EE for this to happen.

The unlocking form cannot be used for devices not bought directly from EE.

To unlock a device not bought directly from EE you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Matt2018 Investigator
Investigator

Hi XRaySpeX, thanks for the reply.

Okay I understand, I tried calling that phone number yesterday and today off my girlfriend's phone but when I press 2 (or any of the other options for that matter) the automatic voice says "Sorry that's not on my list" and I can't get any further.

Is there no way to do this process via e-mail or live chat? I was a customer with EE for 24 months so I was hoping there was some sort of support still available to me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I've just tested that EE CS phone no. It routes as I described. You sure you are calling the right no? Does it start by "Press 1 if you are an EE cust or 2 if you want to become one"?

EE provides no email contact.

You are not now a contract cust. to use Live Chat.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Matt2018 Investigator
Investigator

Yep that's the one - I think 3 was broadband and 4 was another product then there's no other options. I have tried all of them and I get the same message, then after I've chosen 3 options I get the "sorry we could not help" recording and it disconnects.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, that's the 1 with 4 top-level options but it should go onto more options on any of them. Try calling from another phone.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.