by dazzypops Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking iPhone 6s

I've just recently bought an iPhone 6s second hand with the intention of using a Tesco simcard in it when it's unlocked. It was sold knowingly carrier locked to EE but after investigation on the ee website it looks easy enough to request and have done. 

I've contacted sup port at EE twice over the phone to ask about unlocking and was advised on both occasions that the phone is unlocked already. I didn't have the foreknowledge to ask if it means it's out of it's 24 month contract so I'm not sure on that yet. I'm also advised to give Apple support a call after the second phone call to EE.

I've tried an EE simcard in it which works just fine. I've tried a BT Mobile sim in it which works fine too.

I've popped in a giffgaff sim and in presume it's activated as it shows a signal and 4G at the top, but it's a pay n go with no credit on it. Suffice to say, the error comes up on the phone and in iTunes despite a complete restore and update with the giffgaff sim in it. No hint of a carrier update. 

So I'm a bit stuck. Having been told twice it's already unlocked and then trying a different carrier sim and the phone saying it's effectively still locked I'm not sure what to do? 

I've got a call booked with Apple tomorrow so hopefully they can see what's up their end. 

I'm just wondering if a third call to EE may help, but what more could I say to help get the lock removed?

Hope someone can offer their kind assistance with this, I'd need very grateful. 

12 REPLIES 12
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Unlocking iPhone 6s

If the phone is showing signal with Giffgaff then it is unlocked.

A carrier update needs data to get to you. If you had no credit or on one of the Giffgaff packs you won' receive the carrier update unless you are on Wi-Fi.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Investigator

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just read that a giffgaff sim needs topping up to be activated. It is connected to wifi too. And comes up with the carrier error when attempting to activate - both when trying to do it on the phone and when plugged into a laptop with the latest version of iTunes. The phone is up to date too. Checked it was all ok with an EE sim I use for work. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Can you call the GiffGaff no. from another phone? You don't need PAYG credit to receive a call.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @dazzypops,

Welcome to the EE Community.

From what you have said in your post it looks like the phone has been unlocked.

Let us know if it works after topping up to activate your SIM.

Thanks

James

Investigator

I've now tried a known working o2 simcard. Popped it in. The network signal and 4G symbols are there at the top, the same as when the giffgaff sim card was in. I then tried activating by cellular only, then by restoring and updating through iTunes. Both the phone and iTunes display the same message still, that the simcard needs to be replaced with one that allows apple servers to recognise it otherwise contact the carrier. 

It does really look like it isn't unlocked despite EE confirming to me twice that it is already unlocked. 

I'm thinking that the request may have to be put through again to unlock it but if it's already supposed to be unlocked should I be paying the 8.99?

by

Hi @dazzypops,

I've sent you a private message.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Many thanks for checking @James_B and confirming the unlock. I do appreciate greatly your time and effort.

I wonder whether the unlock went through ok because it's really digging its heels in and refusing to accept another carrier simcard. Surely it should be as easy as popping a simcard in, perhaps restarting the device or even restoring through iTunes et voila, it works?

I've had Apple call me and talk me through what I'd already tried, i.e. restoring the phone through iTunes. The phone still displays the message it's unable to activate with the giffgaff or o2 simcard.

Is there anything more I can do? Happy to pay 8.99 but if there shouldn't be any need then I wonder why it's not working?

Many thanks.

by

Hi @dazzypops,

Have you tried setting the phone up as new, rather than restoring from a back up?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi @James_B

I've tried a couple of times with a complete restore, i.e. iPhone in restore mode and iTunes downloads the latest version of iOS, does a restore. No backup made prior to wiping.

Just thinking but perhaps if the same simcard was used after the unlock, would it then re-lock if the unlock hadn't 'activated' the unlock after so long? So another unlock would have to be done? I don't know how it works I have to admit, but just a thought.

Kind regards,

Darren

by
EE Employee

Hi @dazzypops and welcome to the community.

This is indeed a strange one.

Have you tried another SIM card other than the o2 or Giff Gaff SIM>

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Time for me to eat humble pie. It was highlighted by a third phone call to EE a few minutes ago. I took thE BT Mobile simcard from my phone, and got into the iPhone no problems once more, dialled *#06# and guess what? The imeI is different to that on the box it came in. Doh! I can't believe it. But thank you EE man. Finally got to the bottom of it.

Right, now to get it unlocked!

I've got to say a great big thanks to everyone here for the very kind help, it's all been very gratefully received.

by
EE Employee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.