by whenthecatsaway Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking form says iPhone is unlocked... Apple & Phone say otherwise

Hi! 

Looking for some help getting a new SIM into my iPhone 7. 

I've filled in the form and it says that it isnt locked to EE, Orange or T-mobile. So i pop my SIM in (which is working and activated) and it says 'SIM not supported' and goes on to explain its locked basically. 

I've rang Apple and they confirm it's still locked to EE. How can I unlock it if the form says it's not but Apple are saying it is Smiley Frustrated

Thanks in advance 🙂 

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking form says iPhone is unlocked... Apple & Phone say otherwise

Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs are different.

If it is 2nd-hand, you can't use the online form in order to unlock it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@whenthecatsaway  If your putting a EE sim in it and it’s not working and says sim not supported then it’s not locked to EE but a different network.  Where did you get the device from ? Or what network sim are you putting in the device?  

If your trying a 3 SIM card that is your issue as 3 SIM card don’t always work and you need to use a O2 or Vodaphone SIM card.  Once it’s working with one of these network SIM cards you can then use your 3 sim with no issues if that’s what you trying to use. 

Investigator

The phone is from my EE contract, its all paid up and i want to use a different SIM now. I hope that clears things up 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@whenthecatsaway  So it’s stil a EE sim your trying to use ? 

The device will not perform the unlock until you use a different network sim in the device.  

And you you don’t need to unlock the device to use a different EE sim in the device.

have you put the SIM card in the device the right way round? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It wouldn't be saying "SIM not supported" it were an EE SIM in an EE phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

No, it's a 3 SIM. 

I just borrows a Virgin Media SIM and it worked straight away but wont accept the 3 SIM. I'm so confused! The SIM works fine in an iPhone 6 so the SIM is not faulty... 

Any ideas?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@whenthecatsaway  The fault is with the 3 sim as these sims don’t always work when performing the unlock.  You need to use a o2 or vodaphone sim.  Once it’s unlocked you can then use your 3 SIM card.   

Investigator

I've had another SIM in it and that works, its just the 3 SIM it appears. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@whenthecatsaway  If your  referring to the virgin Sim card it will work as virgin use the EE network and the device doesn’t need to be unlocked to use that SIM card.

The issue is the 3 sim as I said as this do not always work to perform the unlock and you need a O2 or vodaphone sim.  Once unlocked with one of these sims it will work with your 3 sim with no issues. 

Investigator

okay, i will try getting a vodafone or o2 sim 🙂 

Investigator

So, I put an active 02 SIM in and same error so even though the online form specifically says it's not locked to ee/orange/T-Mobile it obviously is... 

Is it worth going into a store or maybe ringing? If have preferred to avoid both hence using the form! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@whenthecatsaway  Most definitely call customer services.  

Quick question was the device ever replaced via a insurance policy at any time ? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @whenthecatsaway

Thanks for coming to the community.

If you can give us a call we will be able to get this looked into for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.