by Rudihorvath Contributor
Contributor

Unlocking an EE iPhone when using EE SIM

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I have been an EE customer for the past 4 years. In the past I have had contracts with phones, but in December I took out a SIM only contract with EE as I already had an iPhone 6s so didnt need a new phone. 6 months later, I have just bought myself a brand new iPhone 7 on ebay which is locked to EE. I can use my EE sim in the phone ok whilst in the UK, this is not the issue, but I am going to Spain in a few days and once there, I want to use a Spanish data only sim in the phone, as I dont get enough roaming data. I have called EE customer services, who have refused to unlock the phone for 6 months. I am just checking if anyone can recommend somewhere to get the phone unlocked before I travel. A friend has said that sometimes the High Street stores will unlock it whereas the online people wont? Any suggestions would be gladly received.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking an EE iPhone when using EE SIM

@Rudihorvath  You can only go through EE to get this device unlocked because EE have to request this through Apple and only networks can request this through Apple. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Rudihorvath and welcome to the community.

Please do see our guide on unlocking a second hand phone, this will come in handy once you get to the 6 month point.

Just on the back of what you have mentioned about not enough roaming data, you can now use up to 15GB of your allowance in Europe as the roaming regulations have changed.

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

Thanks Lee, but I am overseas a lot and whilst in the UK I only use a small amount of data, in the EU 15G wont be enough for a month.

Contributor

Thanks Chris, I have tried EE customer services and they have refused to unlock the phone for 6 months. I realy fail to see why I need to wait 6 months for an unlock, when I am an EE customer and I bouht a new phone in good faith. There are sites online that wil lunlock even new phones for £60-70, but its really poor customer relations from EE that they are making their customers pay out lots of money for nothing more than pointless red tape.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rudihorvath  EE do not unlock contract devices for 6 months starting from the purchase date. But because you have you have purchased this 2nd hand that same rule applies as this device would of been someone else’s contract device and in fact the person who sold it has breached the T&Cs of the contract as they are not allowed to sell/give away the device for 6 month as they are still paying for it. 

You can only get this unlock once 6 months have passed starting from when the original owner purchased it from EE.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @Rudihorvath

The device belongs to EE for the first 6months of any new connection or upgrade which a customer takes out.

The person you have purchased the device from should not have sold the device within the first 6months of the contract.

This is in the terms and conditions of the agreement.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rudihorvath wrote:

when I am an EE customer and I bouht a new phone in good faith.

Doesn't matter!. You are not the EE customer for this particular phone. That's the whole point!

It would seem you have bought a 2nd-hand phone that is less than 6 months old from purchase by the original EE customer & so it can't be unlocked for yet awhile.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.