by birdburger

Unlocking a used phone

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a 'used' Samsung Galaxy S8 from someone. It is locked to EE, they got it as an upgrade on their contract. I am not currently on EE.

Will i be able to unlock this immediately? Is the device permanently linked to their name as it is under contract? Is there any cost involved in unlocking it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlocking a used phone

@birdburger  The device will not be unlocked for 6 months starting from the purchase date by the original owner of the device and this is EE's policy and it's not open for negotiation.  When this time has passed it will cost you £8.99 and take up to 10 days to process. 

Just to add under the T&Cs of the contract the original owner is not allowed to sell the device for 6 months as they are still paying for it under a hire purchase agreement and they have agreed to this within their contract, And EE do have the right to request this device back if they believe that the T&Cs have been broken. 

And also the seller could be trying trying to do an insurance claim and if they have the device will be blacklisted and you will not be able to remove the blacklist on the device. 

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@birdburger  The device will not be unlocked for 6 months starting from the purchase date by the original owner of the device and this is EE's policy and it's not open for negotiation.  When this time has passed it will cost you £8.99 and take up to 10 days to process. 

Just to add under the T&Cs of the contract the original owner is not allowed to sell the device for 6 months as they are still paying for it under a hire purchase agreement and they have agreed to this within their contract, And EE do have the right to request this device back if they believe that the T&Cs have been broken. 

And also the seller could be trying trying to do an insurance claim and if they have the device will be blacklisted and you will not be able to remove the blacklist on the device. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  The s8 has only been out a few weeks so your post is not relevant as EE will not unlock the device. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

In addition to @Chris_B comments I would avoid the phone if:

• You are buying from eBay, Gumtree etc;
  • The seller wants paying in cash or by Western Union etc;
  • It's purchase price is too good to be true;

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Chris_B: I cover that eventuality, thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.