by LexAntonia Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking a silly old Nokia from Ireland?

I have an old Nokia Lumia Pay As You Go phone that I'd like to unlock. I tried filling in the online form - device not recognised. 

Well, of course not. It would be the first time ee customer service actually works when you need it. Reminds me of the time the genius in the call centre told me a sim card would magically activate itself after being bought. Good times. 

And of course there's no way to call any of the approximately 300,000 service numbers from Ireland. 

It's just a silly old Lumia, ee. Why can't you let me have this one thing? Why do you pretend you don't recognise it? You're bloody useless, as always. There's a reason I'm telling everyone to stay a mile away from you. 

13 REPLIES 13
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking a silly old Nokia from Ireland?

Hi, 

Given your obvious hatred of EE,  why don't you use a third party unlocking service to unlock your old Nokia phone? 

Just search Google or go down your local market/third party repairing store. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Simple. Because EE keeps advertising that they will unlock PAYG phones for you, and I hate being lied to. If I sign the T&Cs, I'm bound to them as well. EE doesn't get to promise they will deliver a service and then go "aww, you're out of luck mate, sorry" whenever it suits them. 

Happens all the time with this joke of a company. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you buy this PAYG phone yourself new direct from EE?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Yes. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock an EE phone from abroad you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Of course they do. That's why all those handy online forms don't work, they want to spring a surprise fee on customers. Not like ee to be upfront about costs. 

These company practices need to be banned. What a bunch if criminals. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LexAntonia  Did you register this device with the SIM card that came with the device? 

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @LexAntonia

Thanks for taking the time to join and post in community.

I can see you have given some answers and advice by @Northerner @XRaySpeX and @Chris_B has just asked you a question.

Just to add to this, I would advise to have a look at our Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device  support article if you get a chance.

If the device is second hand, then you will need to please see our How to unlock a second-hand phone or device locked to EE support article.

Please follow the process that is applicable to yourself.

I hope you get things sorted out to resolve this.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Thank you, Richard, for your lovely canned response. Especially thank you for linking me to your Unlocking your EE mobile phone or device support article - however, the advice given there does not work for me, which I outlined in my very first post, as this is the very reason I made this thread in the first place. 

Is it any wonder I'm disappointed with EE when the advice I'm getting is literally "hey, have you tried doing what you just said didn't work?" 

And no, I will not be paying EE 8.99 for a code that, going by other threads in this community, is by no means guaranteed to work.

EE has sent me an email asking me to mark this question as solved. It's not. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @LexAntonia

If the device was bought by yourself as pay as you go device (handset and SIM together) and registered in your name the unlocking will be free of charge.

If the device is second hand the charge of £8.99 would still stand.

You do need to give customer services a call as instructed above.

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Also as instructed above, the customer service numbers don't work from Ireland. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@LexAntonia  Try this 

:+44 (0) 7953 966 250. 

And yes this does work when outside the UK as it’s the number you dail to call EE customer services when outside the UK.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try calling it over Skype for free.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.