by bluepurple2423 Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking a phone now out of contract

Hi, bought an iPhone 5 in 2013 and have only just replaced it, buying outright an iPhone 6S.

It was bought under contract from EE but the contract ran out in 2015. I would like to unlock it and give it to my mum to use but I'm not sure how to go about doing this given it's out of contract. Any help appreciated.

25 REPLIES 25
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Unlocking a phone now out of contract

Hello @bluepurple2423 to get the phone unlocked please call customer service on 150 from an EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other who can process the request for you. Here is a link containing more information on unlocking your phone through EE (second hand device). :):

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Unlocking-devices-and-PAC-codes/Unlocking-your-mobile-phone-or-device-...

Investigator

And this will cost £8.99? How exactly do I pay?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Unlocking will be free as the phone is out of contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bluepurple2423   Just fill THIS out  it will not cost you anything as its free to unlock a device that now out of contract. 

You have tomake make sure you put the correct number that you used in the device at the time.   Also make sure you put the correct IMEI number.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @bluepurple2423 there is an £8.99 charge to unlock a second hand device yes. You can pay over the phone when you call with most UK or foreign credit/debit cards. 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can just apply using the Unlocking your device form as the Pay Monthly option and giving the mobile number that it used to have. It will first show your current phone on that number & ask whether that is the device you want to unlock? If not, you will then have to type in the IMEI of the old phone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Oh excellent. Will fill that in asap 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: This is not a 2nd-hand phone. It was bought by OP under contract in 2013. See OP.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@XRaySpeX I was asked if there is a charge to unlock a second hand device and I confirmed nothing else. 

@bluepurple2423 just to clarify if you got the phone with the contract yourself then there will be no charge as you are the original owner and are now out of contract. The £8.99 charge only applies when you have got the device from someone else. 🙂 

Investigator

Many thanks to all who replied, have understood so it should be free. Will sort it out now.

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @bluepurple2423 come back to the community anytime if there is anything else you would like to know. 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed: Were you? 😞

Investigator

Hmm I may need your help again guys!

Filling out the form gets a bit tricky as it asks for the phone number of the device I want unlocked but has no phone number anymore - the old number I used to have on it was transferred to a new sim only deal and is now in my new phone. So I'm not sure how to do this.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bluepurple2423: You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Yes, it'll be free. Fill in that form.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

"Give the mobile number that it used to have. It will first show your current phone on that number & ask whether that is the device you want to unlock? If not, you will then have to type in the IMEI of the old phone."

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @bluepurple2423 you should be able to use the old number the phone is/was registered to. If not you would have to call customer service and they can process the request manually for you. 🙂 

Investigator

Thanks again, worked fine once I got the IMEI number in.

Request submitted!

Investigator

I made sure it was marked as the T-Mobile iPhone 5 but I'm just a bit paranoid it'll mess up my new phone as it's the same number... I'm worrying about nothing, right?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bluepurple2423   As long as you put the correct IMEI number you'll be ok.  This you should of have to entered  manually.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions