by kimihiro0104 Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Unlocking Netgear Nighthawk M1

I purchased the new Netgear Nighthawk M1 today on a 30days Data Contract. I had given my 30 days notice to disconnect. How do I go about unlocking my Netgear Nighthawk M1, tried to unlock via the online ee form but said it the device is not locked to EE but it clearly lock as the app ask me for an unlocking code with I inserted difference sim.

Any help would be great.

48 REPLIES 48
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlocking Netgear Nighthawk M1

Where did you buy this MBB router? As far as I can see EE only sell it on a 24 month contract, during the 1st 6 months of which EE own it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Valued Contributor

Hello Ray

It's available in store on 30 Days MBB 30GB for  £30 with upfront of £149.99

You just need to ask for it.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kimihiro0104,

Please get in touch with customer services and our unlocking team will be happy to help.

Thanks

James

by IntradayTrader Contributor
Contributor

I too will be buying this device in a few days and giving immediate 30-days notice as I want to use the device abroad next month. Please update whether customer services were able to unlock your device.

Contributor

I just came across this:

Meet EE’s criteria for unlocking 

• Have an active or recently terminated EE, Orange or T-Mobile pay monthly account.

• You must have had the device on your contract for at least 6 months.

• Have no outstanding balance on your account.

So it looks like an immediate unlock is out of the question using the official route.

by
EE Employee

Hi All,

I have just spoken to the unlocking team to look into this for you.

As it was purchased on a 30day contract, you are able to give us a call and request an unlock.

Hope this helps,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@IntradayTrader: The 6-months rule only applies to devices on Pay Monthly contracts.

The OP has, & you will have, bought the device outright. So no 6-months rule.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Thanks for the information and .

I just called customer services and was told I would not be able to get my device unlocked before 6 months as there seems to be a missmatch between the offers in-store and those online. I purchased on a 30-day contract in-store, whereas this device is only available on a 24 month contract online. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a locked mobile broadband device for me as I spend half the year travelling on business. Is there a direct number for the unlocking team?

Apparently they've received a few calls about this today. Looks like I won't be able to retire my unlocked Netgear 810S just yet.

Valued Contributor

I was told I can unlock it after the 30 days (when I finished my contract) and I just need to call up after that. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @IntradayTrader

Which store was it purchased from?

Many thanks,

Lee

Contributor

@kimihiro0104: Yes, I saw that "out of contract" clause when I attempted to unlock the device online. I guess that's the worst-case scenario.

@Lee_H: Richmond, Surrey.
Valued Contributor

The deal is valid as the store price matrix show it available in 30days contract with £150 upfront 

by
EE Employee

Hi All,

I'm having this looked into for you, lucky I sit near the unlocking team 🙂

I will get back to you all ASAP.

Cheers,

Lee

Contributor

@kimihiro0104: Yes, I saw that matrix on a screen in-store too. The 30 GB/30 day/£30 per month deal is also mentioned on several websites that broke the news of this device being released.

@Lee_H: Thanks for your help.

by chrysolaz Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Lee_H,

I have had the exact same problem with requesting an unlock code.

For 3 days I have been trying to get a hold of the code through Customer services without any luck.

I get told that the unlocking team is busy, which I dont get, as a customer, clearly im the one that should be provided with a service?

The third person I talked to today regarding this told me that because I purchased the device 3 days ago, I cannot unlock it, and it MIGHT unlock after 1 month or not.

I even went in store to try to sort this out without any luck as in store they do not provide unlock codes anymore.

This looks like a new product that has not been properly logged into EE's systems.

Please can you provide a solution for this as it has taken alot of mine, and im sure alot of peoples time away from work.

Looking forward to your solution,

Thank you,

Chris

by
EE Employee

Hi @chrysolaz

I am looking into this.

Soon as I have any solution, I will indeed let you all know.

Many thanks,

Lee

Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Does anyone who own the Nighthawk M1 having the same issue as me?

it was working all fine up till yesterday on battery, when I trying to use it this morning the unit was power on at all just flashed blue then red light then nothing happened. 

I charged the battery to full before I went to bed and now I can only use it when I remove the battery and plug in the usb c cable that connected to the wall charger.

Do anyone know what is the fault exchange  policy for the purchase from an ee store?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kimihiro0104,

Please get in touch with customers services so our technical team can take a look at this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

Contributor

@kimihiro0104: Have you tried a factory reset?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.