by rawzoric Investigator
Investigator

Unlocking Google Pixel

Hi,

I bought a Google Pixel from eBay, where it said the phone is unlocked.

However, when I got the phone I learned it was in fact SIM locked to UK EE.

After a quick Google search I learned the EE is the only carrier in the entire world to lock Google Pixels. Just my luck to get one from you.. eh?

Anyway, I contacted the seller and they "we're sorry about this blabla...  please give us IMEI so we can unlock it for you"

I gave them the IMEI as requested but they didn't respond anymore. That was 3 days ago and they are not responding to my subsequent messages.

Of course I have eBuy buyer protection and I can return it, but first I'd like to see if I can get it unlocked my self.

I realize the phone must not be blacklisted and must be 6  months old, and than i could contact EE and pay 9 to get the unlock code.

BUT... I am from Croatia and I am unsure if the phone number provided for this on the EE website is valid for calls outsidde UK? Also it would probably be an expensive call so first I'd like to check if in fact the phone is 6 months or more old.

NOTE: I ran the IMEI trough www.checkmend.com and the report says the phone is not reported stolen or blacklisted in any way.

My question is, how do I check the phone age and what is the correct number for contacting EE about this from outside UK?

If I find out the phone is less than 6 months old than I know even the seller can't unlock and I have no other choice but to ask for a refund immediately.

Please help

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlocking Google Pixel

It means you must have a bank card issued in the UK by a UK bank. If you don't have 1 you won't be able to pay for the unlocking. It might be worth your while phoning that no. and asking if they'll take your international card but I'd doubt it. EE is a UK network catering for UK residents.

When you phone that no. for unlocking they should tell you if it is under 6 months old. Didn't Checkamend tell you when that phone was sold?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by rawzoric Investigator
Investigator

"valid UK bank card."

What does that mean?

I'm not a UK resident, so I don't have a UK bank card.

Can I use a bank that is operating both in my country and in UK to wire the funds?

My bank is Erste Bank which is international, but there are also many other international banks in my city.

Also can you tell me how to check if the phone is 6 months or older? Can you confirm that it must at least 6 months old for it to be unlocked at all?

Please no generic response, thank You

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

It means you must have a bank card issued in the UK by a UK bank. If you don't have 1 you won't be able to pay for the unlocking. It might be worth your while phoning that no. and asking if they'll take your international card but I'd doubt it. EE is a UK network catering for UK residents.

When you phone that no. for unlocking they should tell you if it is under 6 months old. Didn't Checkamend tell you when that phone was sold?

by rawzoric Investigator
Investigator

No, Checkmend report only said the IMEI matches the manufacturer and model (GOOGLE. PIXEL) and that its not stolen/lost/blocked/etc. There's nothing about any date of sale 😞

Thank you for replying. It seems I'm out of luck.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.