by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

Unlock second hand Google Pixel

Hello,

I recently purchased a second hand google pixel, just to found out that is locked on EE. Unfortunately I'm not able to return the phone to the seller and I need to get it unlocked. The phone came with it's original box (the IMEI on the box is matching the phone IMEI) and all it's accessories. The seller told me he used the phone when he was in UK.

I called customer support and they told me the phone is blacklisted. What could be reasons for this phone to be blacklisted? Most likely is not stolen, as it has all the accesories, even the original foil that was on the phone was in the box.

Regards,

Cristian

12 REPLIES 12
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Unlock second hand Google Pixel

Hello @Crysis21 a device could be blacklisted because it has been reported lost or stolen or the original owner has not kept up with their line rental.

EE will not unblacklist a device for anyone except the original owner.

🙂

by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

So in case the original owner did no pay his bills, I won't be able to unlock it? When I first talked with customer support services, I thought the phone was stolen, but after that I checked the box it came with and everything matched, so most likely is not stollen. But now I ended up with a 300 $ brick...

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Yes correct. All PAYM devices belong to EE for the first six months of the contract and will be blacklisted if the monthly payments are not kept up.

I am sorry you have purchased a dud device. Your only option is to chase a refund with the seller.

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

So I called again to EE, the phone has been locked on 7 June 2017 and only the original owner can unlock it. Seems I have a brick now.

by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

From a local announcement site in Romania, but unfortunately has no buyer protection plan like ebay, so refunding is a long shot.

by
EE Employee

Hi @Crysis21 and welcome to the community.

If the device is indeed blacklisted we would not be able to process a handset unlock.

You can run a Checkmend Report to see the reasoning behind the blacklist.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

I paid the report, same result. I also checked on ipro (which is free, by the way). Well, I guess I have a spare screen now...

Database Checks Performed

Ever blocked

Caution

Currently blocked

Warning

Lost

Clear

Stolen

Clear

Insurance claim

Clear

Possible counterfeit

Clear

Registered owner

Clear

Possible clone

Clear

Contract status

Clear

Recipero AssetWatchTM

Clear

by
EE Employee

Hi @Crysis21

So the database is picking up a currently blocked warning.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Crysis21 wrote:

From a local announcement site in Romania, but unfortunately has no buyer protection plan like ebay, so refunding is a long shot.

Lol, sorry but come on seriously?!?

Unless you buy from a reputable seller or official sales outlet then the chances of fraud are 100%. Its easy money to dupe people into buying mobile devices for cheaper than retail, use a PAYG sim to conduct business, then after 3/6 months either default on the original contract or report the phone lost/stolen for an insurance replacement. Then repeat over again with the next person who "thinks they have a deal" 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Crysis21 Investigator
Investigator

Well, it's a first time for everything. My nexus 5x died and I was in hurry to replace it with something similar. Unfortunately I got a mp3 player :)).

Judging by the fact the phone is full box, with everything it came with, I suspect this was indeed an insurance scam. double winning, considering I also paid for it. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Crysis21

Long shot but did you pay by credit card? If so you might be able to get your money back.

Also you need to report this to the police as you are a victim of crime. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.