by phuleproof Investigator
Investigator

Unlock request wasn't processed before number was ported. What do I do?

Received email saying I'll get an SMS to unlock phone, but my number has now been ported to new mobile provider and I can't use the new sim in my phone to get the code to unlock it. 

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlock request wasn't processed before number was ported. What do I do?

Investigator

@Chris_B Hi Chris, it's an iphone

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@phuleproof  Keep your new sim in the device as you don’t actually receive a code to unlock it.  All iPhone locks are controlled by apple and once it’s ready everything is done automatically on the device just by putting a different sim in the device.  

How long ago did you request the unlock?  

Investigator

@Chris_B, only a couple of days, so there's another 24 hours before I was expecting it to be done at the latest, as they said 24-72 hours. I was just worried as the phone doesn't work with the sim in. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@phuleproof  It doesn’t matter about not working at the moment at all.  EE try to achieve unlocks within 72 hours but it’s actually can be up to 10 days.  Most iPhone unlocks are done with in the 72 hour time slot though.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

To receive an SMS to your no. you don't need the SIM with that no. in device to be unlocked. Just keep your SIM in the phone it works in & the SMS will arrive there.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @phuleproof.

Welcome to the community.

I see you've had some great advice already from @XRaySpeX and @Chris_B.

Let us know if you have any further questions 🙂

Jon

Highlighted
Investigator

@Jon_K Hi Jon, 

Is there any way of finding out how long until it's actioned? I've seen some horror stories on here and can't afford for it to take longer than 72 hours, so I'm a little concerned. 

I've tried calling EE directly, but as soon as I enter the phone number for my account, I'm told that the account is closed and the call gets hung up. 

by

Hi @phuleproof.

Could you try another network's SIM in the phone just to make sure it isn't already unlocked?

We can't check the progress of your unlock, but if it goes over 72 hours just let me know 🙂

Jon

Investigator

Hi @Jon_K

I've tried that and it's definitely still locked. 

I'm off on holiday and will need to be able to receive texts and emails whilst away, so really need it sorting by today. 

by

Thanks for trying anyway @phuleproof.

Fingers crossed it will be sorted within the 72 hours, but as @Chris_B mentioned earlier it can take up to 10 days for an unlocking request to go through.

Keep us updated though!

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.