by Rwomack Investigator
Investigator

Unlock old Ee phone

Hi - can anyone tell me how to unlock an old iPhone that I had? I changed from EE back to o2 a few years ago and I’m overseas. EE doesn’t recognise my number anymore, which is fair enough but when I try customer services I can’t speak to an actual person and calls are £2 per minute from where I am! I tried setting up an EE account but can’t because the number doesn’t belong to them anymore. Going around in circles! 

4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Unlock old Ee phone

Good Morning @Rwomack.

Thanks for coming to the community.

Does your number not get recognised by our EE unlock form?

What kind of device is this? any iPhone or iPad sold directly by EE, on or after 1 September 2015, will be unlocked automatically once it reaches 18 months old. To check this simply place a different network SIM into the device.

Google Pixel phones (all variants) automatically unlock themselves on day 721 from point of activation. You'll receive a device configuration notification to confirm when it is unlocked.

If this does not apply you will need to speak with our unlock team by phoning 0800 956 6000 and selecting option 2 then option 4.

Speak soon,

Katie 🙂

by Rwomack Investigator
Investigator

Hi Katie - the form doesn’t recognise my device and I’m overseas so when I try the 0800 number it doesn’t work. I tried the overseas customer service number and I just get an automated service and can’t seem to reach a person. I need to unlock the phone ASAP to use a sim for this country, or I am without phone or internet unless I’m in a WiFi area. I will be in a more remote location soon and need the safety of a working phone so please let me know what I can do! 

by Rwomack Investigator
Investigator

To answer your question, it’s an iPhone 5 that was purchased directly through EE in 2014. It won’t accept the sim I have purchased. Thanks. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for confirming this @Rwomack.

Did you dial +44 800 956 6000?

You will need to speak with this department to complete the unlock.

Katie 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.