by tmanley90 Investigator
Investigator

Unlock iphone 6 whilst abroad to use local sim card on vacation

Hi there - I've just landed in vietnam and have bought a local sim card to use over the next 2 weeks whilst on holiday.

My phone is currently unlocked as I forgot to do it in the UK before leaving. It's quite costly to call EE and ask for it to be unlocked. The online form also keeps failing as my IMEI number isn't going through at the final stage, even though it is correct and works when initially promopted to search for the device status

help to solve this appreciated

Thanks

Tom

9 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlock iphone 6 whilst abroad to use local sim card on vacation

Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs are different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

New from EE, as an upgrade on my pay monthly contract

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tmanley90

Thanks for coming here for help.

When did you get the iPhone?

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

You can now check the lock status of your EE Apple device here or by texting UNLOCK to 150.

Thanks, Leanne.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tmanley90  It usual takes around 72 hours to request the unlock but EE allow up to 10 day.    This is not as quick as you would want it to be. 

Investigator

Hi Leanne

I only received one it a couple of months ago

I’ve been able to check the locked status of the phone by following that link before

However, is won’t let me request the unlock, any online and calling/texting EE is quite expensive from here

Anything you can suggest?

Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone
Investigator

Thanks for the info Chris. Currently stuck trying to initially request the unlock either way

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tmanley90  If you got the device from EE you can only request the device to be unlocked after 6 months of ownership if your on contract.  

Investigator

Even just for use with a local foreign SIM card? That’s pretty poor if so

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tmanley90  technically the device is still being paid for in the first 6 months, It’s not yours yet,  you can not unlock a device just for local SIM cards as once it’s unlocked any sim will work in it.    The 6 month rule is the same for every contract customer.  

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.