by Sitter Investigator
Investigator

Unlock iPhone with no SIM in

Hello, I am trying to unlock an old iPhone 4. I'm going through the steps on the website but not sure what to put when it comes to entering the phone number of the device I want to unlock. I am abroad at the moment, and there isn't an active SIM in the phone I want to unlock (it's to put a foreign SIM card in). It does still have an old, inactive, EE SIM in the phone though. Can I still unlock the phone please? Thank you.

Edit to add: I have tried calling the EE contact number, but when I get through it's not recognising any of the buttons I press via the keypad so the call doesn't actually get anywhere before I get hung up on 🙁

9 REPLIES 9
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Unlock iPhone with no SIM in

Ring 0800 956 3146 it will get you straight through to a advisor.

by Sitter Investigator
Investigator

Thanks. Does that number work from abroad though?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sitter  You need to call this number 

+44 7953 966 250 from abroad. 

In the field where is says phone number you need to put the number that was used in the device.  

You can only use the online request from if you got that device from EE yourself. 

by Sitter Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Chris, that's the number I have tried calling, but for some reason when I get to the menu options it wouldn't recognise when I pressed the relevant number.

I'll try the online form but putting in the original number used in the device if that will work even if there is no SIM in the phone?

Thanks again.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @Sitter

Welcome to the community.

Where did you originally purchase the phone?

Leanne,

by Sitter Investigator
Investigator

Hi Leanne,

It was purchased in the UK through EE on a contract. All I want to know is if I can unlock the phone without it having a SIM in it.

Highlighted
by

Hi @Sitter

Yes you can request the unlock without a SIM in the phone.

Was this purchased direct from EE?

If so, from 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

You can now check the lock status of your EE device here

If not purchased direct from us, follow the below links to unlock the device.

An iPhone doesn't need a code and we will text you the details when this has been unlocked.

Thanks. Leanne.

by Sitter Investigator
Investigator

Perfect, thank you.

As I said, phone was purchased from EE, but it will have been prior to September 2015 so the phone is locked (I've checked).

Thank you everybody who has given suggestions.

by

No problem @Sitter.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions