by Jessicaakaitlyn Investigator
Investigator

Unlock iPhone 7

Hi,

I am a customer with EE, but want to get a friends iphone 7 which is locked to EE unlocked. I have rung on serveral occasions and gave them the IMEI number of the phone and was told that this would be fine providing proof of purchase wasn't sent to " emt.escalations@ee.co.uk ". The first person I rung gave the wrong email address, I then rung a week later and the second person gave me the correct email address. After sending the proof of purchase, I was told I would be contacted by an advisor by the Friday to confirm the process was working, this did not happen. So I called for a third time the following Monday and was advised that EMT had not received my email and was told to re-email with the subject header "PROOFS" and told that emt would contact me within 72hours. I did so almost 2 weeks ago and have still not received any information. 

Can I get some advise on what to do next because it's getting to the point where it's taken over a month and have still not unlocked the phone?

thanks 

28 REPLIES 28
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: Unlock iPhone 7

Hello @Jessicaakaitlyn sorry to hear you are having problems unlocking your iPhone. How long ago was the iPhone purchased? EE will not unlock any phone until 6months has passed from the purchase date so until then the phone will remain locked.

Due to this being a public user forum access to accounts is not allowed to check the status of your unlock request through here, this would have to go through customer service on 150 from an EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other (lines open at 8am). If you are a personal pay monthly customer on an EE plan you can also access Live Chat using one of the ways mentioned in this link. :):

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/EE-Live-Chat-ways-to-chat-online/td-p/527811

Investigator

Hi, Thank you for the quick reply,

The phone was brought in October from carphone warehouse outright but is locked to a Virgin media sim and I was told over the phone by all the advisors I spoke to that the 6 months doesn't apply and this would not be an issue? 

I will try and phone again in the morning and speak to customers services again.

thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jessicaakaitlyn   Is the device locked to virgin media or EE ? If it's locked to virgin media than you have to ask them to unlock it even though they use the EE network.    

Investigator

It was a virgin media SIM card however, all EE SIM cards work in the phone so I would I assume it's locked to EE. If the phone works with all EE SIM cards then Its locked to EE? Virgin outright refuse to unlock the phone after many many phone calls saying that because it was purchased at carphone warehouse and not direct from them they cannot unlock it. However, when I spoke to the EE advisors they said they could unlock any phone that was locked to any network anyway and they even spoke to the EMT team and gave them all the details who confirmed that they would be able to unlock the phone. EE advertise that they can unlock any phone for £8.99 which I would have been quite happy to pay, if they could not psychically unlock the phone I should have revived contact weeks ago to say this, but on three occasions I was told this was possible. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jessicaakaitlyn  Virgin media use the EE network but if the device is not  registered as being a EE device then EE cannot unlock by EE and only Virgin media can do this.  

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

EE can't unlock any phone. They can only unlock phones registered and sold by them or a third party like CPW.

The phone is registered and sold by Virgin through CPW. 

Virgin is the one that needs to unlock this and when they say they can't they are fobbing you off.

Yes EE sims work in the phone as they use the EE network.

It's like giffgaff would work in a locked O2 sim and visa versa (although giffgaff phones aren't locked)

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Investigator

EE SIM cards work in the phone though so isn't the device locked to EE? 

The device was brought outright unlocked before a SIM card was put in, therefore virgin claim that the device is NOT registered to them, and isn't locked to them and said they cannot physically unlock the phone if they wanted too. 

I explained all of this over the phone to the advisors who told me it was possible, like I said they checked everything with the team and they said all they needed was proof of purchase, they'd email within 3 wait ten days and the phone would be unlocked. All of this is in the notes of my account when I talk to them over the phone. They would not have gone through all this process if they could not unlock the phone! The problem is that they said EMT Had not recieved the email the first time and they haven't contacted me like they told me they would

Investigator

The phone was brought unlocked and then I put a pre existing virgin media SIM card that I had for a previous phone into the device which locked it, that's why virgin are claiming that the device is not registered to them, because technically it wasn't bought through them. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jessicaakaitlyn  The device was a sim free device and that means what ever network that the very first SIM card is put in the device it will lock to that network.  In this case virgin media.  

Any phone purchased from the CPW is not from the network as they are sim free so lock to the network.  The CPW can not stock network specific devices or they will have 100 of phones for each network.  So thay have sim free devices that lock to the network that the first sim card put in them is from. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B couldn't @Jessicaakaitlyn just purchase a EE PAYG sim and then process the unlock that way?

See if that would work.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hi

Please CLICK HERE to review the current unlocking process.

Maybe something on that page will help you with the unlocking.

Investigator

Okay, so it definitely has to go through virgin? Even though they are claiming the device isn't registered to them because I bought it through a third party they have to unlock it? Any advice for getting them to do it? 

Thanks for your help 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH @Jessicaakaitlyn  Sorry that's not possible to unlock a device like that.  The device will not be registered to the account correctly nor can it be.  

Investigator

So the device can never be unlocked?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jessicaakaitlyn  You need to tell virgin media customer services that the device came from the carphone warehouse and a virgin media SIM card was the first SIM card placed in the device so locking it to virgin media.  It's now a virgin media locked device and only they can process this unlock request. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @Jessicaakaitlyn

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community today. Smiley Happy

There seems to be a lot of confusion about how you would get your iPhone unlocked.

I can confirm that you will not be able to get your iPhone unlocked through Virgin Mobile. If you check Apple's "Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in Europe" here, it shows that Virgin Mobile only supports Facetime over Cellular, LTE (4G) and Personal Hotspot, they do not support unlocking.

What I personally believe you should do is contact customer service on 150 from any other phone or 07953 966250 from any other phone and request your iPhone to be unlocked using the "Second Hand" route.

However, I'm going to get some advise from one of EE's Community Support Team. @Richard_C, could you offer some advise please?

Investigator

Thank you for all the help, I just want to say EE have been the most helpful. M

I've tried telling virgin media that over and over again, they don't do anything.

So with you saying that virgin media don't support unlocking and cannot unlock the phone can I confirm the phone will never be able to be unlocked? 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Thank you for the reply @JessicaakaitlynSmiley Happy

What Virgin Mobile have advised is correct, they can not unlock the iPhone.

However, because Virgin Mobile use the EE network, you can use an EE SIM in your locked iPhone. If you was request a lock check through a third party website, it would come back as being locked to Orange/T-Mobile.

I'm not sure if EE would be able to unlock the iPhone, you would need to either wait for @Richard_C to reply or contact customer service directly and they will be able to pass you through to EE's unlocking team and they would be able to advise you further.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Be persistent. Don't back down.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.