by Jenkins13
Explorer

Unlock T mobile iPhone to EE

1. Hi i have an iPhone 4 that is locked to T-Mobile. Even with a T-Mobile sim the phone is still locked and I  tried putting an EE sim card into the phone and it says the sim is not supported. I also paid for an unlock service on eBay and put the sim into the phone after following the restore and backup  instructions but it still says sim not supported. Any ideas? I'm not in the UK and cannot register my sim card through the EE website because I dont have a phone to receive the text! 
4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Employee

Re: Unlock T mobile iPhone to EE

Hi and welcome to the Community @Jenkins13

This sounds very confusing as an EE SIM should work in a T-Mobile device.

Was the device your own or purchased second hand?

Do you receive any error message on screen?

Many thanks,

Lee 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jenkins13  A EE SIM card will not activate the device if your not in the UK as this can not be done on a roaming network.  Any issues you have with the unlock you have to take up the the eBay seller. 

You will be better off using a sim card  from the country you're in providing that network supports the iPhone. 

You also with an iPhone 4 have to connect the device to iTunes on a PC with a different network Sim card in the device to activate the unlock this cannot be done via on the device directly 

And  It's only cost £8.99 to unlock a 2nd hand device with EE and if you got the device yourself from EE/T-Mobile the unlock is free.  

by Jenkins13
Explorer

Hi thank you for the information that is really helpful. It would make sense that the unlock doesn't work abroad. 

If I put a sim in from another country would that not lock the phone to that network? If I then return to the UK can I use the EE sim in the phone? 

Thanks again for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jenkins13  Once a device is unlocked it remains unlocked permanently.   The only issue you might have is that you used a 3rd party to do this and this is not recommended for an iPhone as Apple controls the unlock keys to this and only a network can request Apple to unlock the device.   

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.