by dvidwheelr Investigator
Investigator

Unlock Still not working after 72 hours.

I purchased a second-hand iPhone 6 from a seller on Gumtree who advertised the device as unlocked. I am a Three Sim-Only customer and tried to activate the device using my sim and got a "Sim Not Supported" error message. After trying my mother's EE Sim, I deduced that the phone is locked to EE.

I contacted the seller and he was not aware that the phone wasn't unlocked, he was told in an EE store that they would unlock his old device after he took a new contract out with them. He then contacted EE for me and asked them to unlock the device. Following this, he sent me a screenshot of the confirmation e-mail and said that he was told it would take up to 72 hours. He also showed me a screenshot of his bill that showed an £8.99 unlocking fee.

It has since been 72 hours and the phone is still not unlocked. I am trying to put my Three sim card in to the phone and I am still getting "Sim Not Supported". Why has the phone still not been unlocked? The original seller has also contacted EE and they basically told him to keep waiting. I am not best pleased as I have paid £100+ for a device that is useless to me, and I do not feel very happy having to contact the original seller every time(who has been nothing but co-operative), and am sure that the problem lies within EE's control.

Would someone be able to tell me why it has been 72 hours and the device is still not unlocked? It's not even as if the device is an obscure one.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlock Still not working after 72 hours.

@dvidwheelr  It takes up to 10 days but EE try to do this within 72 hours there is no guarantee it will be 72 hours.   The other issue you might face is that 3 SIM cards do not always work when you try to perform the unlock on the device.  Get a O2 or a Vodaphone sim ( £1 at a supermarket)  once the unlock is done with one of these SIM cards your 3 sim will work with no issues.

Why 3 sims don’t always work when performing the unlock on the device is a mystery. 

The device could already be unlocked and the 3 sim is not working/performing the unlock request.  

And the seller sold this device with the wrong information about the device and your issue with this is with the seller not EE.  

Investigator

Thank you for the reply, I wasn't aware of the problem with Three sims not working sometimes. I'll have to pop down to the supermarket and grab a sim.

As for the seller, he was genuinely unaware that the phone wasn't unlocked, as he was told that it would be done by an EE employee.

If it doesn't work with a different sim, I'll give it few more days and if it still isn't working then, I'll come back and let you know.

Thanks again!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dvidwheelr  Please do come back to keep us updated.  It should be done before the 10 days though.  

Investigator

just popped down to tesco and got a vodafone payg sim, do you know if it needs to have credit on it to work? tried it without credit and still nothing

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, it doesn't need credit; just able to connect to network. Phone still locked to EE :(.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I'll just have to wait it out then, thanks 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@dvidwheelr At least you have a Voda sim just in case.  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.