by the_ed_
Explorer

Unlock Pre-Owned s9

If I buy a locked to EE s9 from a second hand phone store (cash generator), they have 2, both locked to EE and good value in my opinion.

The policy mentioned "six months old" so would it not be possible to unlock the s9? How old is it? When is the earliest I can unlock it or does it depend on the individual phone? 

Alternatively, could I use a "pay as you go" sim from EE or a pay monthly sim for a month and then unlock it like other networks suggest? or will I need to use EE until the 6 months is up? Any ideas on what I can do? 

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
by
EE Employee

Re: Unlock Pre-Owned s9

Hi @the_ed_ and welcome to the community.

Details on how to unlock a second hand device can be found in our brilliant unlocking guide.

We are unable to give dates on when a handset can be unlocked due to data protection.

It would be a case of requesting an unlock every now and again.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@the_ed_  The 6 month start date is when the original owner got the device from EE.  Before you purchase any of these devices you need to get  reinsurance from the shop that if the device becomes blacklisted you’ll get your money back as this is probably not a good purchase.  

The s9 is not even a year old ( 19 March ) so even if the device was a release day device it will

not be unlocked yet.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @the_ed_

A word of warning. Ask yourself why someone would sell that phone at CC in the first place and why it's such a good price.🤔  in my view It's guaranteed to be reported lost or stolen or defaulted before 6 months are up. If that happens you have no comeback on anyone.

Do yourself a favour and buy one from a reputable retailer. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@the_ed_: You can't unlock it until that particular device is 6 months old. Even then there are other risks when the original owner reports it stolen at 6 months. In the meantime you may use any EE SIM in it. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by the_ed_
Explorer

Thanks for the responses everyone! I suppose it's not worth the risk you're right. Not only might I be unable to get it unlocked but if it's black listed then it's all down the drain. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Yes, you'd be safer avoiding it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.