by mddanu
Explorer

Unlock Google pixel issue

Hi I just bought a Google pixel phone locked in EE network from a reputable shop.Phone is new and was sealed.I phoned EE and after checking the IMEI phone is clean no reported as lost or stolen(no blacklisted).the lady on the phone asked me if I'm willing to pay the 9£ to unlock the phone and I agreed.She got in touch with the unlocking EE team but after few minutes she says they are not going to be able to unlock my device and she can't give me the reason because I'm not the owner.Now what can I do to unlock my device because I'm the owner by buying this phone and having the receipt.I don't think a shop can sell a device if they are not sure that was not stolen or lost.Thank you and I hope someone can help me.

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlock Google pixel issue

The point is you are not the original owner. In your hands the phone is 2nd-hand in EE's eyes. Is the phone over 6 months old since it was bought from EE? If not, EE won't unlock it until then & that may be the reason EE is refusing.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mddanu
Explorer

Thank you for your reply but I don't have this info about when phone was on the hands of the original owner.i think that EE team was better to tell me the reason why they are not able to unlock the phone not just:"we can tell you the reason because you are not the owner" at least I will know if I will keep the device and unlock it later or just return it.I suppose they have this kind of info about the phone.Any advice from you?Thank you

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As I said EE could just refuse to unlock it. They're not obliged to give you any reason & probably won't as you are not their customer.

You could do some research & work out when this model came on the market. There also is the site http://checkmend.com for checking for blacklisted IMEIs. That report may give 1st date of sale.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mddanu  EE can not discuss with you about another person device. 

The device is under 6 months old and the original owner has sold it before the 6 month period where they can sell it or it can be unlocked.   You will have to wait until the 6 month period is up before you can get it unlock.  Your only issue is that you don’t know when the original owner got it from EE starting this 6 month period. 

by
EE Employee

Hello @mddanu

It's sounds like the phone is not 6 months old.

No contract device can be unlocked in the first 6 months.

You can find all the information you need on our How to unlock a pay monthly phone article.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Shotunz

i am an EE customer on pay as you go. I recently bought a Google Pixel locked on EE from an EE customer who is on pay monthly. I was wondering if i can have the phone unlocked. I think the previous owner of the device was on pay monthly and bought the phone 3 months ago.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Shotunz  EE will not unlock a contract or in your case extract device ( its 2nd hand ) until 6 months have passed starting from the date of sale. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.