by Sil2 Contributor
Contributor

Unlock EE on new originally unlocked phone (like bought directly from apple)

Good morning,

I am quite sure this has been asked but I can't find the answer. It is always about second hand phones that were originally locked. So here we go:

I wanted a phone I could rely on, so I purchased one brand new from a third party (this is an apple iphone SE). I mean new as, sealed, wrapped, etc.

So I set it up and added my SIM card and it happened what I had read elsewhere: the phone is now locked on EE something I do not understand since I purchased it myself. It has nothing to do with EE except I added my SIM inside.

Can someone from EE unlock it please?

Thank you in advance & Best Regards

F.

2 REPLIES 2
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unlock EE on new originally unlocked phone (like bought directly from apple)

@Sil2.  You didn’t purchase a unlocked device you purchased a sim free device and these lock to the first network that the first SIM card is on that’s put inside it.   (EE didn’t lock the device as this is all programmed in to the device by Apple and it did what it was always going to do ) 

Your going to have to call customer services to request this to be unlocked and it will cost you £8.99 payable via credit/debt card.     

Just to add if this device was someone else’s upgrade contact device and 6 months haven’t passed since the device was purchased then the device will not be unlocked until the 6 months have passed. 

by
EE Employee

Re: Unlock EE on new originally unlocked phone (like bought directly from apple)

Hi @Sil2 and welcome to the community.

On the back of the information presented by @Chris_B, please do pop over to our unlocking guide. 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions