by mdr76
Explorer

Two-part question

I recently upgraded a phone that I purchased about 6 weeks ago (got bored of Android very quickly) to an iPhone, so the original phone is still locked to EE. I had to call to remind EE to send out the return pack yesterday and I’ve just received the email confirming the returns pack and my question(s) concern this sentence - “any trade in discount applied will expire and a charge of £250 will be added onto your next bill.”

I would be interested in keeping my old phone as a backup if all I had to pay was £250 for it (and I hope I’m not being dumb here), but is that £250 just the start? Does the “trade in discount applied” refer to a separate charge that will be added at some point?

Also, assuming I’m not being an idiot and I buy my old phone for £250, can I then have it unlocked even though it’s within 6 months of the start of the contract, but I guess if I own the phone and have paid for it then there’s no need for a network lock.

Apologies if this is a question(s) that I should have found using the search.

5 REPLIES 5
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Two-part question

Hello @mdr76 ,

Welcome to the community,

You will not get the phone unlocked for the first six months, as for returning the phone, I would suggest you ring customer service about the amount you are paying, because that could be the amount you would pay for the rest of your contract, as you cannot just exchange it or send it back as you do not like it without having to pay for the rest of the time you owe, as you only had 14 days to make up your decision if bought online for by phone, none for when bought in a shop.Customer service will be able to give you a clearer explanation though.

by mdr76
Explorer

Yeah I was expecting the “call customer services” reply, but as that’s not possible right now I was hoping someone here had a similar experience. Not sure why I’d have to pay anything towards “the rest of the time” that I owe, when I paid to upgrade the contract was renewed and the existing contract was ended (as per the t&c’s). 

Anyway, yes I’ll call CS when I can and get their best guess at an answer (especially if I have the misfortune of getting through to Merthyr). Sigh. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@mdr76 , there is no account access here, so can only reply to what you have written, and as I understand it, you have had the phone for six weeks, so that is why there is a payment, as I see it. Customer service are the ones to speak to, sorry but I also did not see the existing contract was ended and a new one started, so it sounds if you had the phone for six weeks and then ended that one and started a new one, that is why you have to pay the amount they have asked for, but to clarify for you, customer service are your best bet, or log-in to your account on the web, and when someone becomes available, live chat will come up and you can get help there.

by mdr76
Explorer

I get it, call CS. I will call CS as soon as I am able, thank you for this advice. I am aware that nobody here can access account details, I was hoping somebody may have had a similar experience and could share that, I am also aware that I would probably receive guesses, which is also fine.

Thank you for your time, I will call Customer Services as soon as I am in a position to do so. Thank you.

Calling CS soon, I promise. Honestly, I’ll call them.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Ok, hope you get it sorted, good luck, let me know how you get on, as this could help others in a similar situation, thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.