by kdelro Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Taking a long time to unlock phone

Hi,

I filled out an online form request to unlock my iPhone X but I filled it out whilst I was abroad. I recieved a device unlock email on the 16/07/18 but I haven’t reveieved any other emails or texts yet for confirmation that my unlocking request has been successful- why is this?

Thank you

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Taking a long time to unlock phone

@kdelro: Did you buy this device yourself new direct from EE or is it 2nd-hand? The process & costs are different.

From 01 August 2017 any Apple device which was purchased directly from EE on or after 1 September 2015 will be unlocked automatically once the device reaches 18 months old.

This means you may not need to request your device to be unlocked if you purchased the Apple device on or after 1 September 2015.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX  The iPhone X is not even 12 months old so the 18 month rule is totally irrelevant.  

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @kdelro,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did you purchase the device from EE?

Is it over six months old?

Thanks

James

Valued Contributor

Yes two both questions. I’ve tried requesting to unlock the device twice now but both have been texted that the unlocking was unsuccessful. I’ve just sent another request to unlock the device. My phone meets the requirements and my mum says there isn’t any outstanding bills. I need my phone unlocked before I move abroad next week and i’ve been trying for the past few weeks to unlock it

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kdelro wrote:

my mum says there isn’t any outstanding bills.

If she was the 1 who originally bought the phone from EE, it will be registered to her. You can't fill the online form in your name; she needs to.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kdelro   Is this device in your name or your mum‘s name ? 

If it’s in your mum‘s name are you putting your mum’s details including the phone number that should be used in the device on the unlocking form. 

How have you got this device from your mum ?   Was it originally her device ( her upgrade ? )    Did she give it to you and you used your sim in it ?  did she ever use her sim in it ?  

Valued Contributor

I’ve filled out the details under my mum’s name so hopefully it should work this time right? All of our phones are under her name as she is the account holder and i’ve always been using this sim and number.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Should do! The previous unsuccessful attempts were due to if you used your own name. 

by

Hi @kdelro,

Please take a look at How to unlock your EE pay monthly phone or device

As long as your phone/account meets the listed criteria, your phone will be unlocked within 10 days.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kdelro  Is this the same number that should be used in this device. The one that was originally for it ?   

Valued Contributor

Yes it is 🙂

Valued Contributor

Thank you 🙂

by

Hello there @kdelro

It may be worth giving us a call and speaking to the unlocking team to get the request looked into.

If you're not the account holder, you will need to ask them to call us.

Thanks, Leanne.

Valued Contributor

My phone is ready for the unlocking process now. Can I use a foreign sim card to activate the unlocking process? Thank you to everyone’s help

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@kdelro  

Put The foreign Sim card in the device and find out.   The Sim card has to be from a network that support the iPhone 

Valued Contributor

Yes...

I understand that there are other ways to unlock it but I was just wondering if putting in another sim would be quickest

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by
EE Employee

Hi @kdelro,

Have you had any luck with the unlocking?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.