by Noddy3
Explorer

TRAPPED IN THAILAND, HELP!

Ok so, 

I am in Thailand right now - I'm writing this on some guy's laptop at a hostel. I have to write here as the live chat isn't popping up let alone working and obviously I can't make any kind of calls because I'm in Asia. 

The problem is this: I entered my PUK code wrong three times when trying to put a Thai sim in to be able to have data while I'm out here. In order to be able to get my PUK code, I need to add my device to this website, but I can't as it requires a code sent to my phone which is now locked.

My own English sim is locked, so I can't receive texts or calls. I didn't realize that my phone was locked so I sent a request to get my phone unlocked, but that requires a code that's sent to be me by text - which I can't receive. I've tried using my brother's phone (he's back in the UK), they sent him a code which I used to get to the next step. Apparently it's suppose to get unlocked within 72 hours. This was 4 days ago now and I've received no email explaining either how to unlock my phone or what my PUK code is. I need both of these to get out of here. I can't really wait the ten days it could possibly take to unlock my phone.

Is there any way to unlock my phone and get my PUK code ASAP?

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy J3, I am with EE (obviously), originally Tmobile, I am on a pay monthly contract that my mother (back in England) pays for and hence am not the account holder, though she's happy to pay the £8.99 to get it unlocked. Live chat is not working even with good internet connection. I can not find it on any of your pages, nor can I find any kind of email address (the closest I got was a postal address - who writes these days??) which is why I've had to post here. I am literally stuck on the other side of the world because of this, and this is not my laptop. I get wifi here on my phone but need to keep moving. I'd be really grateful if this could be resolved as soon as possible.

All the best, 

Jon

7 REPLIES 7
by Noddy3
Explorer

Re: TRAPPED IN THAILAND, HELP!

I can't get my puk code from EE as I need to add my device to my account that's only possible via text verification, which I can't receive.
by Noddy3
Explorer

Awesome, good first step. I'll get her to rabbit my PUK code and then unlock it when I next get an opertunity
by Noddy3
Explorer

The phone seems to have blocked all sims. My English EE simply does not work nor did the Thai one. I'd rather use a separate sim here after unlocking as I only actually need 4G and that's much cheaper if I get a Thai sim. Is there no way of speeding up the unlocking? If not I'll be forced to to go to a third party to unlock it. I can't set up my phone for roaming as the sim, all sims, are locked and I need the puk code to unlock it which is only availible through text. It's a catch 22 and the only actual solution is to unlock it, I can't wait another 6 days for you guys to get back to me. If we can't speed up the process could you please cancel my unlocking request as I'll get it done here. Aware this will void my warranty but I don't really have many opotions.

All the best,

Jon
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

You can obtain your PUK code via your online account. 

Also you can call EE from a landline. EE contact details are here.

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Noddy3

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear of your circumstances.

The PUK code and unlocking your phone are 2 separate things.

The PUK code is to unlock your SIM after entering your PIN incorrectly numerous times.

The unlocking code is for unlocking your phone to use a different network's SIM in your phone.

It sounds, from your description, that you have blocked the Thai SIM by entering the PUK incorrectly.

If you have requested for your EE phone to be unlocked to other networks, it can take up to 10 days to fully go through.

Does your EE SIM work in your EE phone? Is it possible that your EE SIM isn't blocked and that it just needs to be set up for international roaming? 

You can check this in your My EE account by logging in >>> tapping Menu >>> Manage device.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Noddy3   The unlocking process cannot be cancelled from here as this is only a public forum and there is no account access  And once you request this I do believe it can not be stopped anyway.    You’ll not void your warranty  at all.   It takes up to 10 days not that it will be 10 days.  But you can get your PUK code from your EE account to unblock your EE sim if your device is requesting a PUK code for your EE sim. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Noddy3  So you’ve not set up an account before you left the UK.  Your only option is to use a landline to request the PUK code and they will tell you it over the phone..   and unless you been given permission to talk to customer services about the account as you say it is not your account then the account holder will have to call to request the PUK code. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.