by tommyth458 Investigator
Investigator

Second hand phone

Hi,

I recently bought a second-hand iPhone under the assumption that the phone was unlocked. Turns out it is locked to EE until the 20th of February (rough estimate).

I am annoyed, but I accept the 6 month policy, and will just need to wait.

My question is: Will EE unlock my phone in February? 

I am not a customer, nor do I plan on becoming one. This is due to me being an international student. I am leaving in June, and only use my phone to call back to my home country, thus I have no need for a UK phone number.

A friend of mine said that EE might not comply to unlocking this phone for the very reason that I am not a customer, and that the phone might be stolen goods. I have all the evidence you could ask for in terms of proof of purchase, though, to prove that I actually paid someone for this phone. 

Any answers are much obliged. Cheers

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Second hand phone

No need to worry about that. It's he that broke EE's T&Cs not you

EE do unlock clean 2nd-hand devices for non-customers, by phoning Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team. Just keep using it on EE & keeping an eye on its blacklist status often at CheckMEND  until the 6 months is up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @tommyth458 

Where did you buy the iphone? If from Gumtree or eBay then it's highly likely to be permanently blocked by February, especially if you obtained it for an "amazing bargain price"

Anyway to unlock you need to follow the following process:

HOW DO I UNLOCK AN EE DEVICE TO USE WITH ANOTHER NETWORK?

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Hi, thanks for the swift reply.

I bought this phone off a guy on Facebook. I realize the risk I am taking, but the guy just swayed me, I guess.

He turned up where I live, with multiple friends of mine present, gave me the phone, allowed me pictures of his ID, scribbled up a mutual receipt and such. He even added me on Facebook when I freaked out the day after, when suspecting to be scammed, and he is always available for any questions I have.

By freak chance, the guy who runs a shop in my building bought a phone from him 2 years ago and he said that he had no problems what-so-ever. The guy I bought the phone from was not aware that we talked about this either. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @tommyth458 

For your sake I hope it goes well. 

I would recommend you request a free EE PAYG SIM, that way you can monitor if the device gets blocked before February.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Investigator

Thanks a lot, I have gotten a sim and just verified that it´s all good.

I also make sure to check the IMEI on blacklist databases often.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tommyth458   You don’t need to wait till February at all that’s only if the device is a contract device and that device is still on contract then the device will not be unlocked until 6 months have passed.   If the device is older then this then you just need to call customer services to request the unlock of the device.  The fee is £8.99 payable via a UK credit/debit card.  

Investigator

Hi Chris,

It seems to me that this phone is around 2,5 months old, based on my phone saying that the Apple limited warranty is set to expire near the end of August 2020. I just had a google and I realize that reselling the phone before 6 months is not allowed, due to the phone technically still being the property of EE. Any advice on what to do with this information?

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

No need to worry about that. It's he that broke EE's T&Cs not you

EE do unlock clean 2nd-hand devices for non-customers, by phoning Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team. Just keep using it on EE & keeping an eye on its blacklist status often at CheckMEND  until the 6 months is up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Thanks for that, glad to hear that I won´t be in trouble for that.

The thing is, when you say I need to continue using the phone on EE, do I really need to?

I have my old phone for now which I am using with a sim-card from another country, since I´m not from the UK. I have no need for a UK phone number, and therefore was planning to just keep it in the box until I can unlock it. I have inserted an EE sim just to check that it was clean, but the phone is currently turned off and is in its box. I also know that the phone has been used with EE for about a month before I bought it. Does it need to be used?

Investigator

I just performed a report with Checkmend, and it suggests that the device is being monitored. It also suggests that this phone is not under contract. Weird. 

Skjermbilde 2019-11-05 kl. 23.30.14.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No. I'm only suggesting that as the quickest & cheapest way of checking that it's still clean. All you need do is send a free text, BA, to 150, which should respond with your balance.

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance.

Investigator

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Regarding the Checkmend report, I don´t really understand the information it gave me, because it suggests that the phone is not currently on a contract, but it is being monitored by Recipero, which I do not really understand what means, but. I tried to share a screencapture above, but it seems it did not work.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Oh, it did work. It was awaiting approval. I have now done so & it should appear soon.

Investigator

Indeed it does! 

Well, all green except that one. Based on information I got from the seller, the phone has been paid down in full, and therefore is not "in contract" anymore. The red warning, however, I assume is due to EE´s policy on that the device needs to be with them for 6 months regardless of the contract´s payment status.

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Dunno, but it looks suspicious.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions