by mmckinnon
Explorer

Samsung S7 Edge Unlocking issue

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody might be able to get me with my issue. I am an EE customer living abroad. I am trying to get my Samsung S7 Edge unlocked but I am a little worried on how long this may take. I have the confirmation email stating they have received my request etc. I can see that it should take within 72 hours - it has now been over 2 days and I haven't heard anything or received any email/text. 

I can see that in certain circumstances they will have to contact the manufacturer which can take up to 10 days. Will EE be able to let me know if this is the case? If this is the case for my phone, I may have to go via third party as am desperately in need of a working phone to make/receive calls for work.

I can't find anywhere to track the progress and I haven't been given any reference code by EE. Could anyone shed any light on this or perhaps provide me an email address to find out more? I'm in New Zealand so it is difficult for me to reach them on online chat because of the time difference..and I can't make calls. Any help much appreciated! Below is the email I have from EE.

Many thanks

Mattea

Hello from EE

Thank you for your request to unlock your device.

The time it will take depends on the device you want to unlock:

• Apple iPhone / iPad - you'll get instructions on unlocking your device by SMS within 72 Hours.
  • Any other device - you'll get your unlocking code and instructions on how to unlock your device by SMS or EMAIL within 72 Hours.

For some handsets, we have to ask the manufacturer for your code - this will take UP TO 10 DAYS.

If this applies to you, we'll text you on the number you've given us with details of any delays this may cause.

Thanks,
The EE Unlock Team
4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Samsung S7 Edge Unlocking issue

@mmckinnon: You did buy this phone directly from EE yourself?

There is no email contact for EE. 

All anyone knows about this is completely covered in that email you received from EE. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by mmckinnon
Explorer

Hi - no I didn't. I bought the phone off a friend with it being locked to EE. This didn't matter as I already had an EE/T-mobile sim/account. Does this effect anything?

I am now overseas and have swapped from a Pay monthly contract with EE to a PayAsYouGo contract (as far as I am aware, they said this swap would occur at some point in October). I really need to use an NZ sim card in my phone so I can make calls.

Hopefully they are able to do this for me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@mmckinnon  As the device is 2nd hand you have to call customer services to request the unlock.  You can not get it unlocked against your account as the device has nothing to do with your account.   You’ll be charged £8.99 and it will take up to 10 days.  

Your original request to unlock this device will fail.    You have to call to request the unlock and this is your only option as the device is 2nd hand.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it affects everything. You are not the EE customer for the device in question. You may have received the auto-response email from filling in the unlocking form but when it is looked at & found not to conform to meeting all the requirements which you agreed it did, it would have been effectively closed & you cannot now expect any further email/text which you are mistakenly awaiting.

Further to what has been already said you now need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team who will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.