by gp23
Explorer

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 purchased from EE in the UK on a contract which expired two years ago. I have since been using an EE PAYG SIM when in the UK without any issues. I am now in Australia and when I insert my Australian SIM I receive the following message:

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK.

I can still use the EE SIM in Australia (not that I want to), however I can't add credit with my Aussie credit card. I can also use my Aussie SIM in another phone without issue.

I have spoken to EE customer service who claimed that the phone is not locked. They nevertheless provided an 8 digit code which failed to unlock the phone.

I have followed instructions to disable the Samsung Regional Lock by making a 5 minute phone call from Australia using the EE SIM. This also failed to unlock the phone.

My research leads me to believe that "SIM network PIN" refers to the Network Control Key (NCK) and that "SIM network PUK" refers to the Master Control Key (MCK), also known as Defreeze or Unfreeze code.

I am aware there is a difference between SIM PINs (and PUKs) and SIM Network PINs (and PUKs), however I'm not sure whether EE provided the Network PIN or Network PUK. I suspect it was the Network PIN (which is locked) and that I need the Network PUK.

I have contacted Samsung Australia who referred me to Samsung UK, who referred me back to EE.

This saga has been going on for months now, costing time and money and has now gone full circle.

So, will someone at EE please take responsibility for resolving this issue or escalate it to someone who can?

3 REPLIES 3
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

Hi @gp23,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

A PUK code is linked to a SIM card, rather than your phone.

If you contact your network provider in Australia, they'll be able to give you your PUK code to unlock your SIM.

Thanks

James

by gp23
Explorer

Hi James and thank you for the response.

I fully appreciate that the code terminolgy and error messages can be ambiguous. However I believe that I do not need the SIM PUK. The SIM is not locked – as I stated, it works in another phone. For the sake of thoroughness however, I obtained the SIM PUK from my local provider and it failed to unlock the phone.

As stated, I believe that "SIM network PIN" refers to the Network Control Key (NCK) and that "SIM network PUK" refers to the Master Control Key (MCK), or Master Unlock Code as referred to below.

Please review carefully my previous post and also note the following responses from Samsung:

Samsung AU:
We suggest acquiring the Master Unlock Code from the distributor of the old service provider that the phone is associated with.

Samsung UK:
I completely understand that you do need the network unlock code for your device to use a SIM abroad. Please be advised, that they can only be obtained by your network provider. Your network provider will need to escalate your request to their dedicated Samsung contact, we highly recommend to get back in touch with them as they will have a process in place to escalate this for you.

Again, I request that you escalate this issue.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @gp23.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Our Mobile Care team will have access to give you a network unlock code, or a PUK.

I'd recommend contacting them as they will have access to your old accounts and be able to help you with the information that you need.

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.