by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Retail bought iPhone 7 locked to EE - How do I unlock it?

Hello,

I have purchased a brand new iPhone 7, however, it is locked to the EE network. How can I get this unlocked? I cannot call the usual EE support numbers as they are requesting an EE number which I do not have. Could I possibly go in to a EE Store (there is one near me) or can I easily get this unlocked online?

Thanks,

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Retail bought iPhone 7 locked to EE - How do I unlock it?

Hi @TESCOEE

You would need to give our Unlocking Team a call to discuss this.

They will run through various checks to see if the device is eligible.

Many thanks,

Lee

16 REPLIES 16
by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @TESCOEE

So I can try and help, please may I know the following

• Where was the device purchased?
  • Is it pay as you go or pay monthly?

Many thanks,

Lee

by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

This device was purchased through https://www.smartfonestore.com/

I am not a PAYG Customer or Pay Monthly (including SIM Only) but I was previous customer of EE but have now moved to Three.

Thanks for the quick reply,

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @TESCOEE

You would need to give our Unlocking Team a call to discuss this.

They will run through various checks to see if the device is eligible.

Many thanks,

Lee

by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

When I call up EE Customer Services, they are asking for an EE number which I do not have. I cannot proceed without it.

by
EE Employee

Hi @TESCOEE

It should transfer you to an operator if the number is no number is entered.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TESCOEE  On reading that site you got this from it states they are 2nd hand devices, so.  

If that device was part of someone's contract with EE it'll not be unlocked until six months have passed from the time of purchased from EE.

As the iPhone 7 has not been out for six months yet it is not likely that that device will get unlocked yet even if it was got on launch day.  

by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Yes, you can buy second-hand devices, but there is an option to buy an iPhone Brand New which is locked to a network. 

by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Okay, thank you. I will give them a call.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TESCOEE  As I said if that device was part of someone's contract with EE  but they decided they were going to sell it that device is still part of someone's contract and will not be unlocked until six months have passed from the time of purchase from EE.  

Devices are only locked to networks when they come from that network which means that device originally came from EE,  EE don't give devices to 3rd party companies to sell on when that device is the latest iPhone that's available. 

It might be a new and unopened and unused device but that doesn't mean it wasn't originally part of someone's contract it just means they sold it on before they used it.   And it still remains under the 6 month rule. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You need to call Customer Services to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. Use the landlines numbers in my sig. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Hello, I have just tried to call EE now and entering my now old EE number does not work neither does not entering nothing work. Is there an email I can use? 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE provide no email contact for mobile users. The only way to get your phone unlocked is to phone EE & ask to be put thro' to the unlocking tream.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

So would I be able to use a random EE number then? I do remember ordering two SIMS and the number is still active. 

I cannot get through to EE without a valid EE number (again, I don't have one) or by entering nothing or another random number (like my one). 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @TESCOEE,

As @Chris_B said, all EE iPhone 7's remain the property of EE for the first 6 months of the contract.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible to unlock it during the 6 month period.

Thanks

James

by TESCOEE Investigator
Investigator

Okay, so I would have to go to a high street unlocking service then?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@TESCOEE  Just to point out that they will ask EE to unlock it and it will fail becasue of the 6 month rule,  and if they have a way to ask Apple the device could relock on the next software update as it will not of been unlocked officially.    

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.