by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

Refurbished pixel 2xl locked

Hi, I received a refurbished pixel from Google in a substitution of a broken Unit I've bought few months ago. The Phone is locked with ee. 

I've tried to call The Assistance but it's impossibile to call from italy. 

What I've to do to unlock my Phone? 

14 REPLIES 14
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Refurbished pixel 2xl locked

If you are in Italy how did you get a refurbished EE phone from Google delivered?

Your point of call is Google who should have sent like for like so if your origional handset was unlocked so should this one

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Pie 9.0)
If I have helped please click the STAR/SOLUTION buttons below
by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

I've bought the Phone in november;the Unit was broken because it get chainblocked in the Lock screen, so I've to sent it to the Assistance. 

It took 45 days to get fixed, but instead to fix that Phone they sent me a refurbished one. Dunno how they sent me a locked one 😕

I'm just trying to understand if there's a way to unlock The Phone without passing, again, trought the Google assistance

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Where did you buy the original phone?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

In a shop here in italy. It worked with my simcard

by
EE Community Support Team

Good Morning @Aladrio.

Just to clarify, did you get the replacement phone before going to Italy?

Is it your EE SIM card or an Italian SIM card that won't work in the phone, or both?

Jon

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You bought an unlocked secondhand EE phone in a shop in Italy but when Google was asked to repair it they replaced it by a used locked EE phone, is that what happened?

Well, Google isn't gonna worry about the locked status of its refurbished phones it supplies as replacements as long as it's the identical hardware, 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

It wasn't a seconhand unlocked Phone, it was a new Phone.

by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

I live in italy, I bought the Phone here in italy. I had to sent it to Google Assistance because of an hardware problem.

They sent me a refurbished Phone instead of repair the one I've sent. 

The refurbished has no hardware problems but it's a locked Phone. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It can't have been not previously owned if you bought it in Italy. You did not buy it yourself from an EE shop which only exist in the UK. Therefore it was 2nd-hand even if it looked like in new condition.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Sorry @XRaySpeX but if @Aladrio had a unlocked version from brand new and Google replaced it under warranty or insurance. They shouldn't have given them a locked device from another country.

It should also not be down to @Aladrio to get it unlocked let alone pay for it.

Google needs to fix this by either paying for the unlock or replacing it with an unlocked version or one locked to their network.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BrendonH: I don't think we have been given all the facts here. We don't know what type of Italian shop the original was bought in.

To my mind Google would have only given OP an EE locked phone in replacement cuz they id'ed the original phone as an original EE sourced phone & therefore replaced it like-for-like with a refurbished EE phone as it would have come directly from EE, i.e. locked to EE.

by Aladrio Investigator
Investigator

I bought in a H3g store,so it wasn't a second hand phone.The phone was sealed.
It's a bit mad I've to pay to unlock a new phone i bought new and google replaced with a refurbished locked phone.
I guess I'll have to pass trought google again to get a FULL working phone.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

If you purchase at a Three store then the device you receive should not be locked. Three doen't lock their phones they took this policy a couple years ago.

Google is your point of call @Aladrio you should not have to bear the cost of unlocking.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Why would Google replace a to-be-repaired new H3G phone from Italy with an EE phone from UK? That is the mystery! That needs to be asked of Google.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.